Vaccum RS Headlights again... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Cool

ok...my headlights work. The only problem is I have to open the hood and do it by flipping the little switch from normal to open. Then they open fine like they should. Now, that leads me to believe that it is the light switch itself behind the dash. The lights work fine. Whats back there? Under the dash, is their something electrical I'm missing or is it a total vacuum system? All fuses are good. And everything else works except the wipers, which work if I push the wiper/washer in?

As you all can tell I've been working feverishly on every spare moment to get this car ready for summer. Thanks ya all.
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

It's been awhile since I worked on a 68 RS but there should be 1 vacuum line running into to your firewall and to the switch. So to answer your question is yes it does have vacuum going to your switch. The valve that you are flipping is for manual open. I used it to leave open to clean the headlights. Chevy put it in just in case of a problem that you are having now. When you pull the head lamp switch, you should here a slight hiss at first. If not, there is a possibilty of blockage, not hooked up, or it's a bad switch.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
The Vacuum line that runs to the top of the relay (mounted on the tank) runs through the headlight switch.

First things first...I would disconnect the top line from the relay (small line) and hook up a mity vac pump to it....

Start the car and manually apply vacuum to the relay. If the hide-aways work...then I would say it is your headlight switch....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 05:40 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
There are actually 2 hoses that go to the switch. Just like electricty the switch completes or breaks the circuit. Good luck with it...

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I hear a hiss...and the hoses look good. Whats a good way to get under that dash to replace the switch? (and while Im there I'll fix the wipers). I dont have to break down the dash components do I?
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 07:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If you can reach the switch there is a small spring loaded button that you need to push and hold. This will allow you to pull the knob out of the switch. (you will have to turn the knob to line it up and it should come right out) Then you can un-do the mounting nut and the switch will come out.

The fact that you can hear the hiss when you turn on your lights leads me to think the switch is ok... I think I would follow mccorry's advice but add 1 step. With the motor running disconnect the line mccorry discribed. Pull the lights on and check for vac at the line. This will tell you if your switch is good. Go from there...

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 00, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Good Idea Djd.....that should work....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode