Instrument Cluster Bulbs - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 29th, 03, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi All:
Can anyone tell me why there are two (or even three?? I don't have my manual handy) different types of bulbs in the back of the '68 instrument cluster (with idiot lights). Couldn't I use all the same bulbs (#194) in all the spots where bulbs go (guage lights, signal indicators, temp/brake/gen lights). The bulbs other than #194's take different plastis screw in sockets which i am unable to find anywhere.
Thanks!!
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

dschribs
#194 and #168 are the same size. The difference is candle power. The 194's I believe are brighter and are used for lighting. The 168's are used for areas behind idiot light lenses. If you use a 194 behind some of these lenses they can melt the lens. Im not certain which is which because I too don't have my manual here with me. If you like, I can get back to you later with a more specific answer. That is, unless someone else has the specs on the bulbs. I would be careful with things like Dome light bulbs. I just finished a frame off resto on my 69 Z/RS and left the door open for 15 minutes or so while I was fussing with somthing else. I could smell something funny and when I looked, I saw my dome light reflector houseing hanging in a gooey blob. Although the aftermarket (CHQ) houseings are very accurate and look exactly like a stock one, they are not made of the same plastic. Fortunately my new headliner wasn't damaged and my car didn't burn to the ground. But It made me realize that bulb type and power is important with aftermarket parts. I used a lower candle power bulb in the domelight to avoid any further problems.
Jim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim:
Thanks for the response. All of the bulbs (no matter what the number) go in plastic "sockets" that then screw into the back of the instrument cluster by 1/4 turn or so. The thing that strikes me as strange is there are four "idiot" lights: Gen., Oil, Temp, & Brake. Accoding to my owners manual, the Gen light takes a #1816 - screw in type, Oil light takes a #1445-screw in type, Temp light takes a #194-push in type, and Brake light takes a #1816. What the ?????????(The signal lights guage illumination bulbs are all #194) The whole thing sounds weird to me. Why wouldn't all the idiot lights at least take the same bulbs?? The difficulty I am having is that the 1816 & 1445 take different plastic "sockets" than the 194 push in type bulb. Unfortunetly, I can not find any of the sockets that accept the screw in type bulbs and that is what the majority of the idiot lights take. Perhaps you know of place that sells them or maybe even have some you might be willing to sell to me!!!!!!! Any help would be appreciated here. Stuff like this drives me nuts!!!!!
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 03, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like you need one of those exotic web searching nights or ask the closest electronics repair place who sells stuff like that locally. I know exactly over here where to get anything electrical after being a ham operator a long time so maybe ask a local ham radio operator. I think a good ham guy would know and put you right on the spot for your needs.

Some times I think frustration is only because you can't bang on what is the problem. Have a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode