HEI Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have searched throught the archives on this topic a few times and found some answers but not all. I have a fresh 327 in place of the original straight 6. I now have an HEI unit in place. I know that I need to plug into the battery + terminal on the dist. I have a pink wire that is coming from the ignition block that was bound with the old coil wires. Would this be the power I need? There is also a back and yellow wire spliced together into one clip. Would that be the resistance wire? How does the power get to the dist then without a direct link? Is there aground for the dist.? This may be a stupid question but it's my first wiring job. My '85 is computer controlled so I have no reference. thanks for any advice! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam
1963 Chevy Biscayne-2 door, 283 2bbl, powerglide, Mallory Digital ignition
1985 Z-28 LG4, Edelbrock hdrs, Lakewood control arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
pink would be the power from the ignition switch. runs to + terminal. the married two go to the - terminal. Engine block is the ground so to speak if one is needed.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech

To confirm your suspicion, use a test light. With the ignition turned on, the resistance wire (if present) will cause the test light to glow more dimly than a wire connected to a 12V source. If you find one wire that is a bit lower in intensity, then crank the motor and see if the light goes to full brightness (relative to the load the starter puts on the system). This will confirm the presence or absence of a resistance wire.

68's had resistance wires so odds are good its there. What most people do is replace the resistance wire with a solid copper wire from the firewall connector back to the coil.

I wouldn't try to salvage the old connector socket by crimping or soldering the old socket back on a new wire. For one thing the solder won't stick to the brass and it will eventually fall apart on you. Instead get a replacement pin. Most autoparts stores should have them. They are made by Packard Electronics and are stamped with a P.E.D. Alternatively you can cut the resistance wire about 3" from the connector and butt-splice a new copper wire on. The 3" or so of old resistance wire will add some rresistance to the circuit, but it should be a small amount. Put heat shrink over a bare butt splice that has been crimped, soldered and doped with dielectric grease.

The firewall connector can be disconnected by loosening a bolt in the center (underhood side). It's a 3/8" or 7/16" bolt.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech

Ever notice how big the factory power lead is to the HEI? They do it for a reason. Either use a relay triggered by your orgional dist lead or find a keyed 12volt source that powers nothing else and use that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to hook up the battery and see what power is going through the wires. I managed to find a matching plugs for the HEI + and - terminals at the local yard so I will try to use those.

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech

The HEI only gets switched 12 volts into the BAT terminal. The TACH or (-) terminal is for a tach only. Don't ground this point.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, that's what I was thinking because my '85 is wired that way too. Hopefully I'll get 12 volts form the pinkwire in place. In a somewhat related wiring topic, I also put a new internal regulated alternator on. My old external reg is long gone. I went to rewire it based on the tech article here on the site and found that the wires were plugged into a plastic unit that loops them just as the articles specs. It has four spade connections and terminates the middle two and loops the oter two wires. Anyone seen that before?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

If it looks like a plastic bar that plugs into the regulator connector it could be part of a kit. M & H wiring is one place that makes the CS or SI alternator conversion kit for around $15.00. No harness cutting or soldering. Just select your car and the should show the kit under it.
www.wiringharness.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 04, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I looked up my car on thtat site and found the picture of the clip. The last owner must have started to convert it before he sold it to me. Lucky for me I guess. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode