alternator? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1987 Z28 with the 305tpi. Lately there's been a noise similar to that of wind howling from under the hood. I think it may be the alternator but not sure. Just today all power was lost in my car, disabling it, sadly. If anyone knows what to look for is somewhat sure what to look for, please contact me. Like I said, it seems like it may be an alternator gone bad due to stress or something else. By the way the battery is only a few months old, and at one point the belt connected to the alternator fan was too tight, warping a pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 09:18 PM
David Pozzi

Take the belt off and spin the alternator by hand. How does it sound? Does it feel loose?

You can take it to most auto parts stores and they can spin test it and see if it's bad.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sounds like the internal voltage regulator which is inside the alternator on an 87. Sometimes on a dying regulator you can hear engine RPM radio noise before it dies. Then your headlights won't get bright anymore when you rev the engine. Finally, your GEN idiot light will come on or voltmeter will read low as you drain all of the juice out of the battery.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 08:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 87tuneport:
I have a 1987 Z28 with the 305tpi. Lately there's been a noise similar to that of wind howling from under the hood. I think it may be the alternator but not sure. Just today all power was lost in my car, disabling it, sadly. If anyone knows what to look for is somewhat sure what to look for, please contact me. Like I said, it seems like it may be an alternator gone bad due to stress or something else. By the way the battery is only a few months old, and at one point the belt connected to the alternator fan was too tight, warping a pulley.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you jumpstart your car or someone elses car you can burn the diodes in the internal regulator that's what it sounds like to me or the bearings could be shot in the alt from the belt being to tight.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech

Tony,

the TPI is a serpantine Belt it cant be too tight. sounds like the alternator is fried.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

I would say bearings, I've seen diodes explode but never heard them howl.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

If you are going to replace the bearings you may want to consider replacing them with a name-brand part from an industrial distributor such as Kaman Industrial Technologies, Motion Industries, or Applied Industrial Technologies. Bring in the old bearings and ask for NSK, SKF, ***, or Torrington for the front bearing and INA for the back if it is a needle roller. Most alternator shops use junky Chinese and Eastern European bearings because they are really cheap. You can usually the best name-brand item from the I.D. for less than auto parts store prices. I recently saw a front alternator bearing for a Hitachi alternator "On Sale" for just under $9.00. It was Chinese junk. The same size, name-brand, could be had at an I.D. for $5.00.

The same is true for many bearings or seals in automotive applications. There are just too many middle-men in the automotive aftermarket.

Be sure to ask for two rubber seals (preferably light or non-contact), C3 internal clearance, ABEC1. Do not use a shielded type. The grease that is used by the major manufacturers will be fine. I've seen reports on some Chinese products that used an unidentifiable grease. Yuck.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode