Horn relay - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 04, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I've just got my camaro (68) togehter after a two year build. The car doesn't hold a charge and has not restarted after warming up and driving. I've changed the brand new starter, got a starter blanket. Now the horn relay heats up very quickly. I believe the horn is shorting out. The wiring diagram I have doesn't match the color wires that are connected to the relay? I'm not sure what goes where? (Red and Black to the prongs at the bottom of the relay and a green , pink with a blue stripe, and a pink wire.) They have plugs on the under side of the relay. Also after two or three short drives, my reverse lights won't work. New bulbs, and B&M shifter. The switch is plugged in and the wires look good. I'm not sure if this is all connected or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 04, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the 2 that screw on don't matter, it's the same point electrically. On mine, the one with the fusible link is closest to the radiator.

Big green plug in is to the horns, goes closest to engine.
Pink goes behind (in front?) it, this is from the horn button to trigger the horn.
Pink with blue stripe goes kinda in the middle, and is for the key in buzzer.

None of this really does anything but blow the horn tho. Are the horns connected? If the relay is hot, it's energized, the horn should blow. Pulling the pink wire should disable the horn and cool it off. Perhaps you have the pink and pink /blue wires reversed?

The 2 big wires, with screw on terminals, are the car's main power feed, but the horn relay terminals simply act as a junction block, both screws are on the same piece of metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 04, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim I'll try it tonight!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 04, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yw, and good luck, be sure to let us know. Best part of this is searching, and finding solutions that worked.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 04, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

I just took it for a ride! I unhooked the relay all together, except for the two that screw in. I believe that my problem is a short on the steering wheel or column. I unhooked the relay, it did not heat up and the car held a good charge. I believe that this was also my warm starting problems. The car wouldn't start after a drive or warming up. The relay being energized would probably drain the battery. I also put a starter blanket on it, between the two I think I have the problem licked. Thanks.
------------------
68 327
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 04, 10:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Excellent, aj... half way there, I guess.

The pink/blue strip wire is for the key buzzer. (mine don't work, and I disconnected the wire and let it hang.)

The pink wire's from the horn button, I'd bet that if you connect it, you'll hear the relay click. If so, this wire is shorted to ground somewhere, probably real close to the horn button itself.

I'm assuming you don't have any horns connected?

Since the horn always has power, a shorted horn button will also cause a battery drain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode