Alternator choice ? VR715 voltage regulator? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Re: Alternator choice ? VR715 voltage regulator?

Thanks so much for the info.

Dave
69-Pace likes this.

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

This is regarding swapping the taller original voltage regulator cover for short plastic cover that came in the VR715.

I pried the plastic cover off the VR715 today and went to put the taller original cover on.

What I found was that the original metal cover will not fall down all the way in place over the VR715. The frame of the VR715 is slightly larger than the original regulator. About a 1/16 inch in length and width.

I can center it and screw it down but it sits a little high. It's not a big deal and probably no one will notice but I was just wondering if anyone else who did the swap found the same thing.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 08:48 AM
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1256 View Post
This is regarding swapping the taller original voltage regulator cover for short plastic cover that came in the VR715.

I pried the plastic cover off the VR715 today and went to put the taller original cover on.

What I found was that the original metal cover will not fall down all the way in place over the VR715. The frame of the VR715 is slightly larger than the original regulator. About a 1/16 inch in length and width.

I can center it and screw it down but it sits a little high. It's not a big deal and probably no one will notice but I was just wondering if anyone else who did the swap found the same thing.

Dave
Darn, not a perfect fit like mine was. Mine had the Delco Remy logo on it. Sizing may have changed on the VR715.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

When I refer to my original, it is not the original from the factory. It is an Echlin brand parts store replacement but it had been on the car since the early or mid 80's so it's pretty old. I don't know if that could be the culprit or not.

Dave

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 06:58 PM
David Pozzi

I found better valve cover clearance on my 67 with the 12 O'clock terminal position. I think an electronic Voltage Regulator is a good idea if you will have any modern electronics in your Camaro.

The old mechanical voltage regulators introduce a lot of "noise" into the electrical system. Just look at your headlights flicker at idle & you'll see what I mean. Those voltage fluctuations can't be good for modern stereo systems or even electronic ignitions.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Apr 20th, 17 at 01:19 PM.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 08:21 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes you will find while most of the other old mechanical Voltage Regulators looked like the DELCO ones that replace subtle differences in size and shape occurred.
On the ones I replaced the black plastic cap with it was a true original DELCO VR high hat cover. Now a days I don't car so much and just use the VR as is out of the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks for the replies......

If I reuse the rubber gasket from the original regulator and put a little sealant around it, once I tighten down the two screws holding the cover down, it will be fine.

After hearing of so many people swapping covers, I was just a little surprised when it didn't fall right into place.

Dave

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 06:14 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Take a look on-line as well. A few people used to sell reproduction high hat covers with pretty good A/C Delco embossing.
Here is one currently on eBay

1959-72 GM Ac Delco Voltage Regulator Cover - NOS GM

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

For now I am using the cover from my old regulator. It's plain with no embossed lettering. I repainted it and it came out OK. The money for a Delco Remy NOS is better spent elsewhere on the car right now. I keep my eyes out at swap meets though, for a Delco Remy embossed cover.

I did reuse the old gasket. It was a better fit to have the gasket between the old cover and the new regulator rather than trying to put the old cover directly on the new regulator. The gasket was pretty hard so I put a thin bead of strip caulk on both sides of it. It worked out well.

Dave

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 18, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bucky

Anyone have a wriring picture and or diagragm of going from the original wiring on the VR to this VR715?

1967 RS Convert. numbers matching 327/275 with 4 speed hurst on top of a saginaw, 12 bolt 355 rear end, console w/gauges & deluxe int., ORIGINAL PLUM!
Let's Roll!!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 18, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Unplug old and plug in new.
No wiring change.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode