Gauge Pod/Tach install - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I want to add a gauge pod and tach to my 69 camaro. It has a 350 with a turbo 350 and A/C. The shifter is on the console.

Looking for tips from anyone who has done this and who has the best repo equipment and prices?

Do all the suppliers carry the same brand (i.e., Ricks, classic, D&R, etc....)?

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech

I think most of the reputable suppliers have the same level of quality in guages. The wiring harnesses are also available. I would use Factory Fit brand (I think Rick's carries that brand and is also cheaper than buying directly from the factory). If you don't have a tach now then be prepared to do some carving on your dash carrier. The tach needs a larger opening than the speedo. There is a very faint outline of where to cut. Look closely. Now would also be the time to add the clock, if you don't already have one. The clock wiring harness is also readly available. Also order yourself a "67-69 Camaro RS Console Gauge Wiring Diagram Manual". It will answer a lot of guage related questions.

Here's a couple threads that may help you.

https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=000241#000005

https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...4;t=000225;p=1

The second one has a great link on page two by DjD, but now it's not going directly to the install guide. Maybe someone on this site has the guide on their hard drive and could send it to you. It was a "great to have" guide.

Do a search on guage install. You'll get a lot of info on it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Hey thanks Kurt.

Some very good information! Did not realize I was going to have to cut the opening for the tach.

Maybe someone out there has that manual they could send me.

I was thinking of installing the clock too, but was nervous about cutting the carrier. Anyhow, for now buying the gauges, wiring harnesses and tach will do my budget in anyway.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech

I think you'll find that after you see how much work it takes to remove the whole dash carrier (without breaking anything) and then cut, fit, and install the tach, you'll wish you would have did the clock while it was right there real wide open to work on. Doing the clock will take some more cutting on the dash carrier also.

I replaced my clock without removing the dash. Never said it was easy, but I did it. Point is, if you can't afford the clock right now, maybe you should think about doing the cuting on the dash while it's out and install the clock later.

Do some more searches on things such as oil line tubing and firewall hole location. Clock installation and dash cuting.

Also, while the dash is out you will never have a better chance to cleanup all the wiring in there.

Good luck and have fun. Remember, "If you want it done right........" [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK OK you convinced me! I will go a little over budget and get the clock now. I guess I could afford to loose some weight and not eat for a week!

I guess it makes sense, until yesterday I didn't relize you had to remove the whole dash to performe this operaton.

The wiring should be no problem as the cars entire wiring system was replaced 5 years ago.

I will do alot of searching over the next week, I plan on picking up all this stuff from one of the parts vendors at carlisle next week at the all GM show in PA.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 03:20 AM

If your car was not originally equipped with gauges, the dash wiring harness will not have all of the correct connectors for the gauges. If you want to maintain the proper wiring for the application you will have to replace that harness.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When you purchase a gauge packgae for a car that never had one originally they have a wiring harness to go with it. Can I assume that this wire address your concern 69X11SS?

Kurt, just wanted to tell you that I contacted bowtie-usa, he was one of the people who got a copy of that 7 page instructions manual discussed on the link you sent, and he is going to send me a copy. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 07:34 AM

Sorry, I didn't catch the word "package" in there. I wrongly assumed that you were buying the gauges and parts to do the install and without the right harness, you have to run a lot of extra wires. Some of these kits only come with the wiring that terminates at the harness. The right dash harness is the key. There is a big difference between a gauge and idiot light harness.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

You will need a console harness, gauge conversion extension harness, clock harness, and tach harness are required. The dash carrier conversion is not realy that difficult or precise. It is important to do it right but realy nobody will ever see the modifications. The tach face will cover the cut area in back and the clock bezel will cover the hole in the center pod. The pattern for the tach cut-out comes with a repro tach and the clock cut-out dimensions are shown in the factory assembly manual. I used a flat blade attachment on my soldering gun to make the cuts. It works very well for this modification. Just clean up the edges with a file or utility knife and install the new instruments. Some of the clock attachment hardware is not available in repro and very dificult to locate used but the clock will install and work without it. Better to scrounge it up if possible.

-Mark.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What attachement hardware for the clock is hard to find?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

2 more questions Mark, or anyone who would like to chim in!

1) Checking Ricks Camaro site, the conversion extension harness they have indicates it includes the tach wire with it. Do I still need another tach wire?

2) If I already have a console installed and a floor shifter, do I still need the console harness? They guy at Ricks indicated I did not, so a little confused! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 09:12 AM

I am not sure about the tach wire but if the car did not come equipped with a console, you need the harness. Is there a wiring harness in the console? If there is then you don't need one. If someone put the console in, they may not have added the harness.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The car will need a guage console harness. It will already have a non-guage harness installed (courtesy lights) if the console was originaly for a non-guage car. The guage console harness has the connectors for the guages. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the tach harness, if it is included in the kit, you are all set then. They aren't that expensive or complicated with only 3 wires and a plug or about that.

The clock hardware that is hard to find is the 2 clip on nuts that attach to the 2 dash carrier ears on either side of the clock. One is at 9:00 and one is at 3:00 but they are not available anywhere. There are 2 screws that go in from the back side to attach the clock to the clip on nuts. You can install the clock using just the screws and clip on nuts at the top but it will be a little loose when you try to set the time.

-Mark.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK, I'v order my parts and will be picking them up next Friday,and the assemble instructions are on there way, I'm all set, I HOPE!

Thanks for all the info it has and will come in handy. [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 03, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

There are two studs on the right side of the carrier that hold it against the front of the metal part of the dash. I was able to find one original clock mounting clip. I took one of the studs off the carrier and used it to mount the center fuel gauge. The clip that holds the stud and the clock clip are virtually identical, with the only noticeable diff being that one has a stud and the other doesn't. The carrier still fits onto the dash and I haven't noticed any problems with there being only one stud. You might try to get the two studs off a broken carrier somewhere.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode