Idle Solenoid - 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 03, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 68 camaro, 396/325 hp, auto transmission with ac. When I look in the 68 Assembly Manual I have a blank page after page A9 and before page A11 of UPC M40 (auto trans). When I look at the 69 Assembly Manual for UPC M40 there is a page A10. This is for an Idle Stop Solenoid for L78 auto tranny cars. Is it possible the blank page in the 68 assembly manual is for a similar feature? I am trying to decide whether my car needs this part and am having a hard time figuring it out. I did a search on this site and most people have said the option started in 69; but, I do not agree because UPC M35 page A23 of the 68 Assemble Manual identifies an Idle Stop Solenoid. So it appears the feature was around in 68. If someone has Page A10, UPC40, can you email it to me? My last question is, if I need this part, where can I get my hands on the bracket? I have never seen one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 03, 07:18 PM
Tech Team

I am by no means the final authority here, but I am in the process of rebuilding a 68 SS396/325hp with a/c. I have not seen an idle stop unit on any big block 68 Camaros. I have researched pretty extensively in the last year, because the car I am rebuilding was burned up under the hood. I would bet a good chunk of money that 68 big blocks with turbo 400 tranny did not use the idle stop. By the way, my builders manual shows the same information as yours. The idle stop is shown on 6 cylinders with PG tranny. I am just up I45 in Huntsville, and if your car is pretty technically correct, I would love to look at it, because I still have a few areas I am trying to figure out. See ya..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 03, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the reply. I wish we could have gotten more comments on this issue. I really want to put this to bed.

My car is going to be technically correct, but not 100% numbers matching. I don't have the correct tranny or rear end. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life looking for these. It's also in a 1,000 pieces all over the garage. This weekend I blasted the underside. Found a few small rust holes I was not aware of. Next weekend I will deal with the inside, clean up the mess and start the process of repairing the holes and painting. I haven't decided whether to POR15 the thing or not. I know that the underside was not black in all places. It was more of a grey color, especially towards the back. I may mix black and silver and see how it looks. If I don't like then I'll topcoat with a semigloss black. Met a PPG distributor over the the holidays and he told me the paints used under the hood and car were not UV protected paints, thats why everything looks flat today. Anyway, you're welcomed to come by anytime (weekends are best) and take a look. Send me an email and I'll give you my number.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 03, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
According to Chilton's, copyright 1973, the only carb to get an idle stop solenoid is the Rochester MV, 1-bbl, 67-71.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 03, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech

If it is any help,my 68 210 hp. small block with AC never had an idle stop solinoid.
Running a Quadrajet now, no problems, or need for one, come to think never seen the wiring for a solinoid on a 68.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode