OMG. Read this response from GM... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 04, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Exclamation

When I first noticed that my tach didn't work, I notified GMPP, which, I guess refers it to GM Goodwrench. Of course, their first response was to refer me back to the dealer, as it always is.

Here is my 2nd email to them, some 3 weeks ago:

"You SHOULD be able to answer this. I'm going to try one more time. Please do not ask me to call my dealer again, because they don't know the answer. I have a 68 Camaro. Very nicely restsored. It has GM console gauges and a GM tic toc tac. I had a GM 385 fastburn, with h.o.t. cam and 1.6 roller rockers installed last month. It has the MSD HEI. The tach does not work with this motor. (It used to work perfectly with the old
350, with points in the distributor!)
I spent a small fortune having the GM console gauges and GM tach installed by the GM dealer, and I spent almost 5,000.00 on the GM motor, NOT including installation. I have a GM car, GM gauges and a GM motor...they should work together! I deserve an answer from GM. DO NOT
REFER ME BACK TO THE DEALER. Earn your money and do a little research on behalf of a very frustrated customer, PLEASE".

Here is their timely response, received today:

"Thank you for visiting the Performance Parts website. With regards to your inquiry about Tic Toc Tachometer, this is more than likely a cable driven tachometer and at this time we do not have a distributor with the 'Tachometer Drive'. If you want to keep your tachometer, you may have to use the old distributor. Mallory does have a conversion kit to make the distributor HEI and then you will be able to keep your tachometer. However, you will need to change the gear to either a bronze or a melonized gear.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Regards,
Goodwrench Internet Response Team"

I was shocked when I read that, so I sent this response:

"OK, I was wrong. You can't answer the question!
You really need to do your homework before you are allowed to represent GM Goodwrench. You couldn't be more wrong in this matter, and I am amazed at your lack of professionalism.

Please tell me when GM ever installed gear-driven tachometers in first generation Camaros?

In the extremely long time it took you to respond, I did my own research. It seems that GM (you) now uses MSD ignition with the GMPP 385 Fastburn crate motor.
I contacted MSD, and they sent me the filter right away. They have been aware of this problem for a long time, and with all the MSDs they send GM (you), they include the tach filter. Somehow though, this seems to get lost by the time it gets to the GM dealer.

You should know this. They do. Now I do too. Seems like you're the only one who doesn't...and you are who? GM Goodwrench? I don't think so. This is really disturbing to someone, such as myself, who is trying to stay loyal to the brand.

I would like a response from whomever is supposed to supervise this site."

Jeeze, I know that I probably worded things a little too strongly, but I was pissed!
Just thought I'd share...

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 04, 04:52 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Steve,

I feel your pain. I have run across very, very few GM parts counter guys that know the first thing about peformance parts and the older model cars. I suspect it's just as bad at GM warehouse. We lost our local Chevy parts counter manager about 15 years ago. This guy knew exactly what I needed and how to get it for me. He was a real attribute to his dealership and the entire local hot rodding community here. Since he left it's an absolute waste of time going down to the Chevy dealer. The guys there haven't got a clue and couldn't find the way through a parts book with out me leading them every step of the way.

Most of the local parts stores are worse. It's a sad sign of the times. American businesses just don't care anymore, except for the bottom line. To make that they keep the wages so low they can't draw in the truly knowledgable employees. Bottom line is they don't care. I don't know what to do about it myself. It's frustrating. You know within the first few seconds of dealing with a guy if he knows a darn thing, or if he's going to try to BS his way through. When I get a reply that's out in left field, rather than try to correct them, I'll just leave and do business somewhere else.

There are some very good parts guys out there, but in my neck of the woods for the most part they are the minority.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 04, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

ROTFLMAO!!!! A first gen Camaro with a gear drive tach!! So, are you thinking of putting a Unilite conversion in that "factory" tach drive distributor?? Is it a "dual point" model like on the Corvettes?? What an insufferable idiot!

SY1 is right, it's getting very difficult to find anyone in the industry with any knowledge of the old performance cars. At my local Chevy dealer, which is a GM Performance Parts Depot, if you don't walk in armed with a good part number, you may as well forget about it.

In this guys defense, I'm sure he is very knowledgable about the current product line and helps a lot of people from day to day but, like you, I really hate it when I get a BS answer from the "professional"!!

Paul D.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 04, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK, but here's my point...the new 385 Fastburn IS a new product!!! This isn't an old engine, it's brand new, right off the GMPP parts shelf! This guy could of just made one simple phone call if he didn't know the answer...
...and I just bought a brand new motor from these morons! Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 04, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I think that the bigger problem is that GM isn't shipping the MSD supplied filter to the end customer. They're not even giving you the opportunity to decide whether or not you need it for your application. I just know that some butthead engineer (like me! )made the decision to toss this part upon receipt since it "isn't needed in most applications" and that it will just confuse us "shadetree" mechanics who never read the instructions anyway!

Of course, you have to imagine how small a problem this is to a company the size of GM. Even though you bought a $5K engine your still not even a boil on the Generals butt!! You already spent the money, and you definitely can't return the engine just b/c the tach doesn't work in your car!!

Well, that's why sites like this sprang up! We will always know more about our cars than anyone else b/c we live with them every day and b/c we do give a damn.

Paul D.

68RS/Z28 Klone, Long rod 357 , T-56, 3.89 9"
Move with direction or lose your direction!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 04, 04:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
I feel your pain. When I was rebuilding the front end of my 69, I went to a national auto parts store and asked for bump stops for a 69 camaro. His reply was,"what are bump stops? I'm only familiar with newer cars." Well I don't go there for parts anymore. I finally found a local parts place that is pretty familiar with older cars. Although it depends on who helps you. I went in for a horn rely and the person asked me what size engine. Who cares. I told them I had a 4 cylinder. Since a 4 cylinder wasn't an option for the 69 camaro, he was puzzled. Then I told him to just pick the 350. This is why I don't mind spending the extra $$ ordering from Rick's or Classic. Everytime I order, they know exactly what I need. I'm not saying those places are perfect, but they are much better than the local parts stores.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 04, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech

wow..that is very alarming to realize they dont even know what is going on with their own products...

<a href="http://atlas.walagata.com/w/artfuldodgerv2/AAAA0017.JPG" target="_blank">68 RS</a> : 383, performer RPM heads, Victor Jr. Intake, Holley 780 DP, Crower 224HR232, 700R4 trans, 4.56:1 10 bolt. - driven every day
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 04, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Max

It took me a while, but I finally found a NAPA dealer that is managed and, for the most part, staffed, with knowledgable folks. He doesn't have as much inventory as Chucker or AutoZane, but he can get most anything within 24 hours.

As far as GM "Parts Professionals" go, I have found one guy at a Chevy dealer here that know his stuff. He is a Camaro and Chevelle buff himself and busts his hump for me. He is the ONLY one there that I will talk to.

Bottom line - I had to shop around for a while before I finally found people that knew what they were doing. There were a lot of aggravating trips home empty handed or trips back with the wrong part.

69 Pace Car - 9,300 Original Miles
69 SS 350, Lemans Blue, 350/300, TH350
69 Plain Jane, 17,000 miles, 307/PG
2004 Silverado LT 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax Diesel - I8AFORD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 04, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I guess what really burns my butt is the fact that this guy only has to deal with GM.
He's not a parts store guy that has to know, or have access to, parts from dozens of manufacturers. He only works for, and needs to know, GM. That's it!
As a "professional" he needs to know what he's talking about, about what he's representing. It shows a lack of respect for the product and the customer when he doesn't. A complete and utter waste of time. And GM shows me, the customer, a lack of respect for employing an idiot such as this. It wasn't like I put this guy on the spot and he had to make up some answer right away. I emailed asking for help, and he responded some 3 weeks later with b.s.! This guy is telling me to get rid of the MSD, go back to using my old distributor (the one that will work with my "cable-driven tachometer")use a HEI conversion from Mallory (!) and to replace the gear with either bronze or melonized. If I were gullible enough (because this guy IS, after all, Mr Goodwrench) I would be spending even more money and messing up a perfectly good set up, probably voiding any warranty...and it STILL wouldn't work...all because this guy can't be bothered to make just ONE phone call. And he doesn't even sign his name, so no accountability!
I am not going to drop this. I am going to press the issue until someone at GM can give me one good reason why this person is still employed there.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 04, 03:15 PM
Team Member
John

Come on now, get serious - what makes you think there's anyone at GM these days that knows the first thing about minute technical details of 35-year-old Camaros? Most of them weren't even born in 1969. WE have to teach THEM, not the other way around - that's reality. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 04, 06:24 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Talking

John you speak the truth!

It's just painful because we can remember the day when the guy behind the counter knew what you were talking about without drawing him a picture or trying to convince him Chevy did make a 302 motor.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode