alternator conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, I did the alternator conversion as shown in the technical section. Now my idiot light alwasy has a faint glow when I am running the engine. It isn't coming on bright like it isn't charging, but never the less, it is on. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

thanks
Dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Anyone have thoughts on this?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 02:56 PM

Which alternater are you using now, the SI or CS series? Have you checked the voltage? Should be around 13.5 at 1500RPM.

------------------
Life aint easy when you're fat and greasy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 03:01 PM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

I had that problem when the motor would turn 3000 rpm or higher. It ended up being a loose belt.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am using the SI alternater. The diagram shows making a line for the number 2 connection jumpered over to the output post. Since I am running two batteries and using an isolater that splits the charge and only allows current to flow one way, I wonder if I need to run the number 2 connection directly to the positive terminal on the battery. Does that make sense?

thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

Billydean;

I'd first try bypassing the isolator and see if that solves the problem. If it does, e-mail me direct and we can work something out. It may be a matter of faxing a diagram or two back and forth.

If it doesn't solve it, I'd recommend "borrowing" an alternator from somebody else and see if that solves it. (you have got to know somebody else with a G.M.)

Other than that, I'd recommend that you sit down and re-verify that all the changes were done correct.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 01, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, I figured it out. I had to wire it a little differently because of the isolater. The number 2 terminal is the sensing line that tells the alternater to charge or not. The isolater has a diode in it so voltage can only travel one way, so wiring it the way Wes shows won't work in my particular application. However, by wiring the #2 terminal on the alternater directly to the positive post on the battery, it works like a champ. Everything else Wes shows in the diagram works great. My only real issue is which battery to hook the #2 terminal to

thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 01, 07:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I ordered and installed a one wire from Summit. It seems to work fine. But there were no installation instructions and there is a cap over a two spade connector similiar to the original. Is there supposed to be more to this? The alternator body says Delco Remy, it's an 80 amp but did I do alright by literally connecting one wire to the battery positive?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode