RS headlight squirter motor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Hello,
Hey does anybody know if there is a place that repairs/rebuilds the 69 Camaro RS headlight squirter motor?
Thanks
Doug

1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 07:17 AM
Retired
Jim

Doug there is no seperate motor for those headlight squirters. There is just an extra solenoid that leads to the headlights with hoses.
Those solenoids are not made in aftermarket and are VERY expensive on ebay if you can find one. Ive not heard of anyone rebuilding them either, if you can figure out how to fix one let us know. If the stubs are broken off, Im guessing there has to be a good epoxy to put a new stub on with, maybe cutting a stub off a new union or Tee you can get at any parts house for vacuum hoses. cut it off and glue on.
If your pump is not working for the windshield either then replacing the whole unit might be the way to go. Just remove the solenoids and replace on a new pump.
Im sure others will chime in here.
good luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Click,
Thanks for the reply. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the function of the headlight squirter solenoid?
Doug

1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 10:51 AM
Retired
Jim

When you push the headlight switch to the right to run the windshield squirters, the lower solenoid is activated to open up and squirt thru the hoses it has on it.
If you HOLD that switch to the far right, the other solenoid (upper on top of wiper motor) is activated to open up fluid to the hoses attached to it, up to the headlights. The same pump works on both, the switch tells it which solenoid to activate. Hope that helps. Here is a diagram that Steve McCorry drew up to show you what goes where.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Click,
Just looked at my car and the #1 spot and the #2 spot hoses are in the wrong place. Hey, at least I had one out of three right! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] Easy fix and as soon as I get my new carb dialed in I'll give it a shot.
Since there are two activation points in the RS windshield wiper switch for the squirter solenoids does that mean a wiper switch from a non-RS car wouldn't work?
Thanks much for the help, I appreciate it!!
Doug

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Along with my wiper switch question can someone explain how the solenoid works. I pulled the round part off of my headlight squirter assembly. Remove one screw and it slides off of a plastic tube. No holes in the tube. How does the little solenoid change any water flows?
Thanks
Doug

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 04, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Heres a picture of a headlight solenoid with the original hoses still on it:

69 Camaro RS Headlight Washer Solenoid

The drawing above is a little off. The two washer pump outlets (that normally go to individual windshield nozzles) get combined into on with the "Y fitting and get attached to nozzle #2. A single hose comes off of nozzle #3, Goes about 2" to a "Tee" fitting with a hose going from each end of the horizontal leg of the "Tee" to one of the two windsheild washer nozzles. The connection listed as being Nozzle #1 is the one that goes to the Headlight washers, in the same manner as the headlight washer, a single hose to a "tee" with two hoses going forward to the left and right washers, where another "tee" fitting splits the single hose to the two headlight sprayers.

Yes it's on Ebay:
Headlight Washer Solenoid on Ebay

Heres, another complete unit:
RS Headlight Wiper Motor and Washer Solenoid on Ebay

Neither of these are mine.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 04, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Is the above picture correct or is Mark C correct?
Not trying to start anything, just wanted to know the final answer.
Thanks
Doug

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 04, 05:18 PM
Retired
Jim

Doug Im sure Mark is right on this. The diagram I posted came from another camaro owner and must have swapped 1 and 3 in the information.
Id trust Mark's info. 100%
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 04, 12:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Here you go. From a 69 Vette instruction manual. The RS style headlight washer was only a prototype and never made it to production but is the same as the Camaro used:
69 Headlight Washer Diagram

Dialups be aware, the file is 175Kb

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 04, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Mine is hooked up as shown in the diagram...
If you push the washer button and hold it, it sprays on the headlights...
If you push the washer button and release it, it sprays on the windshield.

You can switch #1 and #3 to get the system to function as you wish. I never knew which way was factory correct....

As far as the factory Corvette documentation, my actual valve functions opposite as what it says... energized goes to port #1 and deenergized goes to port #3.

Steve -
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350, TH350, factory air, factory AM/FM, factory tilt wheel, console w/ gauges - Daytona Yellow
- 1969 Van Nuys Camaro Database
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode