Team Camaro Tech banner

engine/lights re-wire questions

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  69-Pace 
#1 ·
Hi All, I am working on my 68, no A/C. I pulled the factory engine/lights harnesses out and the wires are DONE.

Couple of questions

1) my alternator is from a '76 chevy elcamino. I can get rid of the external voltage regulator??

2) the wire connectors that go into the firewall block on the engine bay side. those disconnect correct? where do i get the connectors?

3)Do I need to change wire guage to run relays for halogen headlights? should I use wagner 6024?

4)I found wiring diagrams on the AAW website. I don't understand them yet, but will those show how to add HEI and electric fans?

5)do I need relays for the fans?

thanks!
Rob

#2 ·
I'd call AAW and get the p/n#s for the front harnesses you need, there's is a bolt you need to remove where they plug into firewall.

Your new AAW update harness should plug into your internal regulator alternator,so you can ditch the external on the firewall.

You won't need to up size the headlight wiring in your new harness to add headlight relays,you will need to add the appropriate wire from the relay's to the battery.

You'll need relays for fans also. sometimes the fan kits come with them.

You'll need to fully understand the wiring schematic before you tear into your wiring,and know how to make a good wire crimp.
Relays normally have a small schematic in their box,and a good fan supplier will also have directions.

#4 ·
Hi All, I am working on my 68, no A/C. I pulled the factory engine/lights harnesses out and the wires are DONE.

Couple of questions

1) My alternator is from a '76 Chevy Elcamino. I can get rid of the external voltage regulator??

2) The wire connectors that go into the firewall block on the engine bay side. those disconnect correct? where do i get the connectors?

3) Do I need to change wire guage to run relays for halogen headlights? should I use wagner 6024?

4) I found wiring diagrams on the AAW website. I don't understand them yet, but will those show how to add HEI and electric fans?

5) Do I need relays for the fans?

thanks!
Rob
1. Yes, you can get rid of the external voltage regulator and then use an alternator with a built in voltage regulator. You can also get rid of the old wiring related to the external voltage regulator but you will be needing the wire from the indash GEN light to be relocated and then attached to the proper spot on your new internally regulated alternator. Depending on what you are all adding as far as headlights, fans, and whatever electrically, you may have to run the output of the new alternator to the battery and not the horn relay buss.

2. The terminals inside the firewall bulkhead connector are crimped onto the wires and the terminals have lock tabs on them to where if unlocked, the terminal as well as the old wire can be extracted. Companies do sell the terminals to go into the bulkhead connector and they sell them in different sizes depending on the gauge of wire it will be attached to.

3. As far as headlights, I did a test a while back comparing an original T3 headlight with an unknown amount of hours on it, a Wagner H6024 Halogen headlight with unknown hours on it, and a new reproduction T3 headlight.

It shows that on low beam, the Wagner draws the least amount of current/amperage to where the original headlight circuit is stressed less.

On the high beam tests, these are the results I got:

4. Look at all the diagrams you want and if there are questions, ask AAW, here, or any number of automotive electrical sites.

5. Ideally, I would run the proper sized relay on an electric fan as it allows more flexibility as far as wiring and how the fan(s) get activated.

Jim

#5 ·
You can also use the standard harness and make or purchase a shunt plug to re-route toward an internal regulator. MAD electric makes the plug and we have a few examples of hand made ones here in our archives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.