Blower Motor wiring on 1969 AC?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am trying to piece together my blower motor assembly to at least get air to flow thru the vents (ac compressor/core not installed).
The previous owner removed the whole box assembly, motor, and fan.
In looking at pictures, I notice that some have a small box mounted on the evaporator box that seems to control the speed of the blower motor I believe. Am I correct?
According to classicindustries they don't seem to have such an item for a 1969 camaro, only a 'switch' that seems to be what is probably mounted into my stock dash AC controls

Anyone with a 1969 camaro AC car know if there is anything that needs to be installed between the factory wiring harness on the firewall and the blower motor that might have been removed from my car?
ClassicIndustries only lists a 'resistor' available for the 67-68 AC camaros...

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 07:32 AM
Retired
Jim

Brian there is a Blower relay that mounts on the A/C suitcase under the hood, right on top of the box. It controls the high speed and other speeds when in A/C mode. Mine is messy but this is the 'jest' of what you need out there. Hope it helps.
DONT accept any relay other than the exact same kind shown here, with the tabs in the exact same place. I had a parts store try to tell me others would work, and they dont. The tabs are numbered which helps. Get an Assembly manual too, its very helpful in following what you will need.
Good luck.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech

Actually Jim, the relay controls the blower in high speed only. It’s not part of the circuit in the lower speeds. In the lower speeds no power is applied to the relay. In high speed, 12 volts is applied to the relay coil and the full 12 volts goes through the contacts to the blower motor.
In lower speeds, the selector switch runs power through the resistors making the fan run slower.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 11:00 AM
Retired
Jim

I recall that now John thanks. I had carpet cleaners here all day, distracting me, I should have found that link to the thread where you outlined all that to me last winter.
Thanks again. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys, Classic Industries only carries the 67-68 it looks like. Kragen has TWO relays listed, ATC and no ATC, interesting, I didn't know they had Automatic Temperature Control available in 1969 [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe on Cadillac?

Niehoff Ignition DR159K
High Blower Relay: A/C High Blow; w/o A.T.C. $14.99

Niehoff Ignition DR159R
High Blower Relay: A/C High Blow; A.T.C. $13.99

and
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

So before you spend money on a relay: Why aren't the lower speeds working? No resistor in the circuit?
Ladera Ranch next to Ladera Heights?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Nothing is working because the whole box/fan/motor/relay is missing!! I am getting ready to purchase this stuff and put it all back in again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ladera Ranch is near Mission Viejo, 15 miles south of Anaheim (Disneyland), next to San Juan Capistrano (popular mission) and Dana Point.

and
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Then you probably don't want to know that no one makes the 69 Blower Motor Resistor either.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Marc?? Talk to me?

I am getting a Relay (available), motor (available), plastic fan blade (available). I know they make a capacitor to prevent noise and thats available as well, but what is the Resistor for?? Where does that hook up? I just need functionality, not originality.

and
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The blower motor resistor is for the 3 slower speeds. The 69 fan is a 4 speed fan where the 67/68 A/C and 67-69 Non A/C fans are only three speed. The fan motors themselves do not actually have three speeds, GM and (everyone else)just controls the speed of the DC motor by varying the voltage to the motor thru the resistor banks. High speed is directly connected to the battery through the A/C relay, the other three speeds come thru the resistor bank that sits in the top of the A/C evaporator housing right behind the relay. 69 being the odd year with 4 speeds makes it tough to find a resistor setup. If your buying an evaporator housing off Ebay or from someone else, make sure your getting one with the resistor, and relay on it. If your buying it piece meal from the repro houses you won't be able to get the parts unless the place also sells used stuff (Like D&R Camaro)

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech

Might try emailing Dick at this place. He branched out into Camaros recently. He might have something used and not a huge distance from your place.
http://www.f-body-connections.com/
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Darn, F-body Connection did not have the resistor, they recommended I call two places, both do not have it either.
I am not hooking up an AC unit, so do I really need the overpriced relay? I guess I could find which wire is hot when the fan switch is set to max, and wire in a simple relay switch to pull power directly off the battery via a fused connection. That would give me one speed, MAX
Anyone have an idea where I can get the Resistor unit that would be great, then I could actually adjust my fan speed!

You guys sure this resistor unit is mounted on the evap box under the hood? Ricks Camaros states its on the 'heater box' under the dash on a nonAC car. Is this the same for an AC car? I should have all parts that are still under the dash, its only the under hood parts I am missing.

[ 06-10-2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Brian Lewis ]

and
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

On a non A/C car the resistor is on the inside box. It's only got 2 resistors on it and won't fit into the connector in the A/C harness.

You can't mix non A/C inside boxes and ductwork with an A/C box on the outside. The two systems work different.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 03, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Wink

My 69 originally had AC. The suitcase was cut down and glassed over to make a flat surface for the ignition boxes to attach to. This kept the heater/defrost air path intact.
I got the heater and defrost operational by installing a non AC resistor in the inside box and wiring it to the switch as a nonAC setup. Woked fine. I only had 3 fan speeds but that was OK with me.

joe

Joe G

69 Coupe; ZZ430; TKO600; 3.55 posi; 13" Baer 4 wheel discs; 17" Billet Specialties wheels; Hotchkis/Koni rear; Ride Tech front; Classic AutoAir AC and power windows cuz I'm old and lazy!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 03, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

Does American Graffiti sell an A/C delete panel for the Camaro? Maybe that with Joes's idea would be a cheap and easy way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode