TicToc tach retrofit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 05, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hey all, just thought I'd share my days work. Today I completely refurbed the guage carrier, and installed and wired my new tic toc tach.

The carrier got 2 coats of "repro" semi-gloss laquer, after cleaning with acryliclean 330 twice, wetsanding, and cleaning again. Then I stuck on my new repro chrome trim rings. Hope they stay stuck.

Had to drill the new lens for the clock adjuster. I installed it all, put a peice of tape on the lens, dabed some paint on the clock adjust rod, and carefully put the tach in place. Then I drilled the paint mark on the tape. Worked perfect.

So far so good, on to the back. I started with a speedo with a temp and oil light, and a fuel guage with a gen and brake light. Now I gotta tach with no lights. For $140 I coulda bought a circuit board with wiring for a brake and low fuel in the speedo, but no where am I finding a lens for low fuel. I'm using auto meter console guages, no low fuel, no ammeter and want to keep all 4 original idiot lights anyway, so... I modified the original circuit board. I'll use the former fuel level wire for bat pwr to the clock, the existing ign. wire to power the tach, and soldered some leads on for the 2 lil light I got at radio shack to replace the missing brake and gen lights. I also had to bring a ground over for the left turn signal. The only change in the dash harness will be to cut the fuel level wire, and run one end to the console and the other to the lighter curcuit. A separate wire will go from the tach to the coil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 05, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

very sweet!

Big fan of tic toc tac, and nice job with the LEDs

The AM console gauges are a nice alternative to those expensive (and unreliable?) sawtooth gauges.

Looks like things are coming together nicely

1968 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe (96 LT1/T56)
2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS
------

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 05, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Nice!! Looks like you are making some pretty good progress. Keep the pics coming

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 05, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Nice!! Looks like you are making some pretty good progress. Keep the pics coming

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 12:41 AM
Senior Tech

1968 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe (96 LT1/T56)
2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS
------

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 05, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Figured I'd put this pic here, so as not to start another post. Friday night, the consolde got cleaned real good with acryliclean 330 (I'm really liking this stuff, it's a good thing I have no idea how much that gallon cost me, it will clean ANYTHING!.) Then 2 coats of oer semi-gloss black laquer, and put back together with the new a/m guages. I stripped the woodgrain thing off the gearshift surround, found nice shiny chrome under it, and decided to keep it that way.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 05, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

Jim I plan on doing the same thing in the near future, emails will be a coming
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 05, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

lemme know, pheonix, i got all the wiring, wire colors, and connector locations all written down.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 06, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech
Brent

Re: TicToc tach retrofit

Jim,

Do you still have all that info written down somewhere for this install?

I'll be tackling the same thing this weekend. I already have the console guages and will add the tic-toc-tac.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 06, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'll hafta dog for it, but yes. Give me a day or 2 to find it.
Are you using factory guages or autometers?
did you get the tach pcb or will you modify the old one?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 06, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Brent

Jim,

I have the same gauges as you (Autometer) and am installing an OER tac just like you did.

I bought the PCB for gauges ($50) but am considering doing what you did and modifying the original non-tac PCB to retain the idiot lights....

Brent

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 06, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

You may need more than that small bulb or LED for the GEN light. The alternator uses the resistance of the bulb to excite the field. You might want to put a bulb similar to the old one in parallel hidden somewhere.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 06, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The main reason I used the existing circuit board is I wanted to maintain function of all the idiot lights. As I'm sure you can see, the tic toc tach doesn't have any, only a turn indicator.

With a 68 with factory guages, the brake light stays where it is, the oil light becomes a low fuel, (I tried, but never found a low fuel light lens) and the rest go bye bye.

If you look at the dash connector close, the pins are numbered.

Pin 1, Tan wire, fuel gauge. Cut it, extend harness wire to console fuel gauge
Pin 2, Dark Green, Temp Light. I extended this to one of the small lights I added.
Pin 3 (6, no connection on 6) Illumination, no change.
Pin 7, Pink, ignition switched power, this needs to get to the lower right terminal on the tictoc (looking at the back) If you keep the gen light, needs to go there too.)
Pin 8, dark blue, turn indicator
Pin 9, light blue, turn indicator
Pin 10, Tan, brake light
Pin 11, Brown,
Pin 12,

Please ignore this for now, I'll get back on it tomorrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode