Accell dual point distributor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I added a accell dual point to my 68 camaro,how do I wire this thing? I also have a accell super coil,On my wiring harness I have a single black wire, a 2 wire for the coil and 4 other wires that are joined together with 2 seperate plugs??? The coil also came with a ceramic resistor where does this fall in the wiring? Any info will be greatly appreciated thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 11:54 AM
David Pozzi

I think to adjust the points you can disconnect one set at a time to adjust the dwell. That is probably what the connectors are with the pair of wires.
There is a special dwell setting for dual point distributors, not 30 degrees like a single point. You could run it as a single point at 30 degrees, and it would probably work fine too.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 00, 02:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You can send an e-mail to mrgasket.com with the serial/model numbers for your distributor and they will send you the installation sheets for your distributor. You can also call and they can fax the stuff, too. I did this to understand what I had when I bought my 69 last Fall.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 03:13 AM

Set the dwell to 25 or 26 on both sets of points by disconnecting the wire as davidpozzie said. You need a power wire from the fuse box that goes to the ceramic block you spoke of it can be 12V because the block reduces it to around 7 or 8V then run the other terminal of the ceramic block to the positive side of the coil. The wires coming from the distributor go to the negative side of the coil. If you have a tach it needs to feed off of the negative also. If you go to a show or write accell they will give you the original directions for your distributor.

------------------
CHEVY RULZ!
68 RS Rally Green Camaro, 70 SS396 Chevelle, 97 SS Z28 Camaro
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 03:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

In the good old days ( old anyway ) I used to put a piece of matchbook cover between the points and adjust the other set.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 03:24 AM

I hope Accel makes a better Distributor and wires than they do spark plugs... I bought a MSD Billet Dist. added it. didn't have time to change the plugs and wires then. Then I bought some wires and Accel plugs (they were out of AC Delco) So I thought Accel would be fine... They were terrible, misfires and fouled plugs were all I got. Don't go with accel if you have a large engine..no luck here at least

68 R/S 396 built to the gills, Rock Crusher 4-speed, 373 gears... true posi.....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 08:19 AM

Accel plugs are actually Nippon-Denso "U-groove" disasters, absolutely junk.

No need for holding a point set open to adjust the other point on Accel dual-point distributors. To properly set them, conncet your dwell meter as normal, to the neg side of coil, start engine, disconnect the one wire from distributor to coil that has connector, set the point for the other wire to 26 degrees. Connect the connector back up, set second point to give 33 degrees dwell overall, done. Set timing, go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode