Alternator AND a voltage regulator? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 04, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

OK I have a alt with a voltage regulator and another voltage regulator by the radiator. My battery wont charge and the battery is supposed to be charging off the alt. But the voltage regulator is getting volts too. Make sense? HOw do I correct this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 04, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech

If your alternator has an internal regulator your external regulator shouldn't be connected at all. Although I have seen the rewiring done internal to the regulator so it looks stock. See if the Tech Reference section of this site will help clear things up.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 04, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Great thanks. I did that and Ill go drive it for a while and see what it does.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 04, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, the battery died again. Anything else it could be?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 04, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Do you have a volt meter installed? If so, what does it read? Do you have a multi-meter that you can check the volts at the battery with the engine running ? Your post implies an alternator with internal regulator as well as an external regulator by the radiator. Is the external regulator connected? Have you had the alternator tested? How many amps is the alternator making? Are you running any other big draw items like an upgraded stereo system, electrical fans, electric water-pump or whatever? A little more description of your setup would be helpful .... Oh, and make sure that your belt has good tension to keep the alternator turning ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 04, 09:36 AM
Retired
Jim

I ordered some stuff from these folks today but the reading in their links at the top of the website is amazingly good info.
This might help you trouble shoot your issue there.
good luck
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Chev Older Car Elec System info. and illustrations

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 04, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Hey Click:
Is the diagram that you posted a link to correct? Is the battery really supposed to have a 14 ga fusible link to the junction block? I am chasing down an ammeter (milli-volt meter) problem and thought that only the ammeter wire from the junction block had a fusible link? The assembly manual does not indicate a fusible link. Thanks,
Gary

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 04, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech

if you have a newer alternator with a regulator built in, you need to bypass the external regulator on the rad support.
the stock setup has 2 small wires from the alt to the regulator- one blue and one white. one of those should be going to the new alt in the 2 wire plug on the outer diameter of tha alt case, next to the bigger red wire. at the regulator on the rad support, you need to either make a jumper wire on the 4 wire plug from whatever wire is plugged to the alt (blue or white), to the brown (i think) wire that goes to the idiot light, or cut and butt-splice those two wires together and get rid of the external regulator completely to eliminate clutter.
also, make sure you run a pretty hefty wire from the big post on the back of the alt directly to the battery- this wire is the one that does all the actual charging, so it can't be too big. loop the red wire from the plug on top of the alt to the terminal on the back that you hook the wire from the battery to- this wire tells the regulator in the alt how much juice to kick out.

was i confusing enough for ya?

ok, now that i went thru all that- i'll tell ya how i always do it when converting old to new.
bolt the new alt in, with a new plug from Napa or GM for the alt and plug it in. loop the red wire on the plug to the big terminal on the back of the alt, and a big wire from there to the positive battery terminal.
onthe old alt plug, insert a small flat screwdriver into the back of the plug to release the terminal on the white wire, which i stick right into the new NAPA or GM plug (this saves on crimping and leaves one less thing to go wrong later- and it looks stock). cut the blue wire with the old plug still attached away from the harness to clean things up and prevent problems later.
at the regulator, i cut the white and brown wires off flush with the terminal, and butt splice them together with the proper terminal. remove the stock regulator and cut and tape off a couple of wires- there is a rather large red wire that is always hot- so be sure to tape that one off real good or remove it.
that's it- if you do that, you are done and it looks like GM built it that way. on a couple of cars, i've actually unwrapped the harness and removed the extra wires just to get rid of them, and re-covered the harness with convoluted tubing that i've pirated off newer cars i've junked out.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 04, 04:24 AM
Retired
Jim

Gary I dont know for sure but that photo in the link is being used by that elec. company very successfully. Call the guy up, he is VERY good at explaining things, enjoyable to visit with. He also can tell you why one wire alternators are not the best thing to use. Give him a shout.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 04, 10:32 AM

Greetings,

I just finished re-wiring my '68 Camaro with M.A.D. Electrical "NEW SYSTEM." I would HIGHLY recommend the "NEW SYSTEM" from M.A.D. Electrical! You can bypass your old external regulator with ease and no more dim headlights!

http://www.madelectrical.com/newstuff/

[img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode