Rear window defogger? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question

Hi all.... another question for the experts...
I did a complete search here and found nothing.
I can't figure out how to wire the rear window defogger I found in my '69. The manuals don't show it in the wiring diagrams either... at least not that I could find for a Camaro.
My package tray has the factory holes for 6x9 speakers and the small holes for a defogger. What I don't see is any wiring. Someone had cheezed-in a wire coming off of the white dome-light wire but that would only make the defogger come on when the door is opened!!
Is there a different trunk wiring harness when a rear window defogger is put in? None of my wiring has been cut up or is missing so I'm thinking maybe this came out of another car. I can get all the part numbers off of all the different parts of the unit if that'll help. (it works too... I tested it)
Thanks!

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Wink

I think your best bet is to run your own line back to it and hook up a switch in the dash, as most of the lines running to the back are for the tail lights and dome.just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 03:13 PM
Team Member
John

Joe -

Just went to look over my '69 with original factory defogger (it was Fisher-installed, but it's not in the Fisher Manual either); a Fisher harness plugs into the fuse block to get power, has a pigtail with a connector that plugs onto the Chevy-installed defogger switch inboard of the wiper switch, and a purple feed wire runs all the way back on the left side to the trunk, where it plugs into a connector on a red wire that's part of the defogger motor. Rick's has this Fisher Defogger Harness for $35.00; they don't show the switch in their catalog, but they may have a used one.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks John / Tom,

I kinda figured it wasn't from my car. I want to keep something back there so I'll probably go with the new harness. For a very short moment I almost considered one of the whole-window stick-on kind of defrosters but that only lasted for a second!
I can get a switch from anywhere really.... another car.

Thanks again.... I'm off to EBay to look for the ducts to go with it now.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

Do the original defoggers work? Is the air heated or does it just blow air from the trunk onto the window?

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 02:20 PM
Team Member

They just circulate air onto the rear window. They do not work nearly as good as the newer heated wire on the glass ones.

TTFN
Mat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 09, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Rear window defogger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Joe -

Just went to look over my '69 with original factory defogger (it was Fisher-installed, but it's not in the Fisher Manual either); a Fisher harness plugs into the fuse block to get power, has a pigtail with a connector that plugs onto the Chevy-installed defogger switch inboard of the wiper switch, and a purple feed wire runs all the way back on the left side to the trunk, where it plugs into a connector on a red wire that's part of the defogger motor. Rick's has this Fisher Defogger Harness for $35.00; they don't show the switch in their catalog, but they may have a used one.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Wow! Here's an old thread.. 2001

Say John, do you happen to have a pic of your defogger unit please.
You may see my other thread where I ask about where it's grounded.

Thanks.
Steve.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 09, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: Rear window defogger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt67ss350 View Post
Do the original defoggers work? Is the air heated or does it just blow air from the trunk onto the window?

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner

No they do not. I have one and like said, all it does is circulate humid air over the window. The best thing is to install the grid type.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode