HID Headlight Conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey fellas. Did a search and found one post from 2 years ago on this subject. Looking for updated info on converting headlights from stock to HID for 68'. Hopefully the price has come down on the kit or process. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

yes you can do it !
I did it on my 69.
go here:
http://www.oldcarstuff.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. The ad says that you can replace the bulb. Is that true? Do you change the wiring? Did you use the same 3 prong connection? Thanks again.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Xenon lamps are not true HID lights, they are what used to be called Halogen lamps except the bulbs contain xenon gas instead of halogen gas, and the bulbs are typically coated with a blue coating to appear more like true HID lamps. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge which produce light by striking an electrical arc across tungsten electrodes housed inside a specially designed inner glass tube inside the bulb. HID headlamps do not use a filament. Instead, they contain an inert gas (Xenon), which emits light when it comes in contact with a high-voltage electrical arc. HID lamps require a high voltage power supply (ballast) that produces several thousand volts (15,000 to 20,000V) to the create the arc inside the bulbs, and then will operate at around 80 to 90 volts once the bulb is warmed up. If you can buy anything called HID lamps for less than $300 (and more like $500) for the bulbs and power supplies alone your buying H4 style Halogen bulbs. The HID assemblies for my Jimmy are over $500 a side for the housing assembly the HID bulb, and the power supply (ballast).

The H4 Halogen style bulbs do just plug into the original 3 prong wiring harness. All you need is a new 7" diameter lamp housing that will accept the H4 halogen (or Xenon) bulb and your good to go. If you increase the wattage of the bulb (which is illegal) above the 55W/60W rating of the original bulbs, you may want to run relays due to the increased current draw of the higher wattage lamps.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 07:31 PM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

Look at the Sylvania automotive lighting site. They had a setup that I bought under the Xenarc name.

Cris

The Rides-
'68 Camaro- 388cid/Tremec TKO/Baer/Hotchkis Susp./Koni shocks/Budnik wheels/Recaro seats
'04 GMC Duramax Crew Cab- Edge Racing Juice/Banks exhaust/Weld Wheels
'73 BMW 2002
'88 BMW M5

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 05, 01:57 AM
Senior Tech

I personally would not put HIDs on anything with availability of the new fangled Xenon lamps. I have them (xenon) in all my applications and they really improve night driving. My kid's Accura has the HIDs and they are no better than my H4s other than blinding oncoming traffic.

I would relay these anywho. The "gold standard" of the OEM industry is to relay anything and everything that sucks down more than 10 amps (mine run 8amps continuous max per side). These will...and your headlights will be brighter as well.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 05, 04:37 AM
Retired
Jim

www.madelectrical.com has great Tech section for info on relays and they have kits for them. As well as great info. on old car wiring.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 05, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech

I got the brighter headlight kit from DSE and I can say that they help alot and way better that stock. Has pigtails to snap into stock connector and for $160, I think its worth it.

69 SS

69 project for my wife - SS 396, Glacier blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode