wiper motor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

my wipers don't work on my 71.I did a search and didn't come up with anything.I don't know diddly about electrical trouble shooting.What usually goes wrong with these?And where do I start? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech

z,

The first place I would sart would be the fuse box. If all checks out okay, then I would put 12v on the wiper motor itself. If the motor turns then i would suspect the wiper switch or possibly a poor ground connection. Hope this helps

Kevin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech

The wipers in early gm's are possesed, grounds are the key, make sure the switch is well grounded, trying to troubleshoot the system with the switch in your hand will lead you down a rosey path.
Anyone else run into this???

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 10:50 AM
Tech Team

zgator,
I just went through a basic nightmare due to wiper motor problems. I bought my 68 knowing the wipers didn't work. However, I didn't know that somewhere along the line the wiring to the motor had fried, and been re-wired (jury rigged), and the motor quit again. To make the long story "shorter", I ended up rplacing the underdash harness and the engine harness. I also drilled out the crimps on the motor gear box to gain access to the terminal motor leads, of which the power lead solder connection had broken loose. After repairing this and getting everything back together, WALA!! They worked. (So I thought). While tooling down the highway, all of sudden my wipers started, then stopped. I thought I has a bad switch (which I had replaced with the harness). Changed the switch, which is somewhat involved itself. Still had the gremlin randomly starting my wipers. Took the motor gearbox apart and discovered the park switch was bent and continually grounding the winding (causing the motor to run). I'll not go into all the details of getting this staightened out, but I finally did. $80-$90 dollars may not be a bad price for a new motor (Rick's first gen)ater all, but I like fooling with things (no funny responses). Just a long story about how grounds will really mess with you mind.

Sorry to be so wordy.

H-dog

[This message has been edited by H-dog (edited 12-06-2000).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys.I figure it to be a bad ground.Most everything else on these cars are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode