Heater fan wiring? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Need some help getting my heating fan to work. The fan has been unpluged at the heater. I've look at a 69 Service manual at the wiring diagram and it show a 14OR going to the fan(Is this a hot wire?) and I've found a Orange wire but not sure about the size but I think it will plug into the male part on the fan. I look at my car with AC and it had a purple wire pluged in at the fan. What give here? Is there more that one plug on the fan? My thinking is the fan is grounded to the body of the car and the Orange is service for the hot,is this the way it goes or works? Now when you go to the heater switch you'll find a LBlue,2-Oranges,and a Brown wire. My thinking is the brown is Hot off the fluse box and the Oranges are service for the (on, off)and the LBlue I don't know, Any suggestions? If the switch is burn out I can put a T-switch (on the two Oranges, right?) in until I get anyother switch. Thank's it getting cold a night and I need the fan to keep my car safe.
Thank and Thank's to God for these gifts He given us to play with and I thank Him for you all.
James NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If your car has A/C the wires from the fan switch run to the blower motor resistor that is mounted on the top engine side of the A/C suitcase under the hood. From the output of the three resistors the power runs to the blower motor through that purple wire. In High speed the fan switch picks up the relay mounted just forward of the resistor which then provides battery power directly to the fan. This power comes through a fuse that is hidden in the plastic wireway just above your distributor, and the wire itself starts over on one of the horn relay terminals.

If the fan doesn't work in any speed, I would check the fuse under the dash. If the fuse is fine and it still wont work I would look at the fan switch as being the problem.

Make sure you check the motor ground, A/C cars need a ground wire since they are mounted in a fiberglass box. The ground wire runs back with the purple wire and ends at a common ground splice, near the blower motor resistor, and has a ground lead connected to the firewall right next to the big rubber grommet that brings the wires thru the firewall. A non A/C car doesn't need a separate ground since it sits in a metal box.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The car I'm working on is a Non-AC car. I've check the fuse in the fuse box and fuse is fine. If the switch is bad how can I put a T-switch in to Make fan blow? Again thank's for your help.
James NC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

You can if you only want one speed.
If you want to pick a speed wire as below. Power comes to the switch from the fuse panel via the #14 Brown wire. Connect this wire as follows for the desired speed:

Low Speed Brown to Light blue
med Speed Brown to Yellow
high Speed Brown to Orange

Orange goes to the fan from the switch. Still only get one speed.
------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 11-26-2002).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Mark the orange wire in the engine bay, is this a hot wire? I've turned the car on and use a test light and turn the switch on and checked that wire and it not show any fire. Got any suggestion on how to check the fan with taking it out of the car to make sure it works? I've tried just running a hot wire to the fan and nothings happen. Thank's for your help and God bless.
James NC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It's the power wire to the fan from the resistor, that sit's on top of your heater box under the dash. Power comes in from the fuse block to the original switch in a brown wire, it leaves the switch thru one of the three different colored wires mentioned above, light blue, yellow and orange. Note that there are two orange wires on the switch, one is the power returning from the resistor, the other is the orange wire in the engine compartment going to the fan. The resistor drops the voltage to control the speed of the fan. When you put the switch in High, it just connects the brown wire to the orange wire to give the fan a full 12 volts.

If your not getting power at the fan, check the brown wire on the fan switch itself. If it has power, put the switch in high, and check the orange wire for voltage. If it has power but your not getting it in the engine compartment, you either have a broken orange wire between the switch and the fan motor, or one of the terminals in the connector on the fire wall has backed out. This can happen if you have disconnected the engine, or forward lighting harness. If your not getting power on the brown wire, obviously nothing will work right. Check the fuse again, better yet replace it just for fun.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode