Spark Plug Wire Length - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

When I took my old spark plug wires off, I meticulously labeled them so I could replace them just how I took them off.

These cables were accidentally tossed, so I went and bought a nice set of MSDs "especially for(my) SB." I have the firing order...so connection isn't a big deal. It seems that I remember a long time ago my dad cautioning me about spark plug wire length.

When replacing them in the past, I've always guaged each spark plug wire up against the new ones & used the one with the closest length. Does it matter? '82 V8 305, 4bbl.

1982 Camaro, 305, 4bbl Q-Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 03:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

This might seem obvious but here goes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I like to lay them all out and see which pair are longest. Start installing them using the longest pair for #1 and #2. The next longest pair will be for #3, and #4, etc.

Some folks will start with #1 and go around the distributor cap using the firing order so that works too but you might want to pre-label the wires based on length as I detailed above.

It is important to verify the firing order at the cap so be sure to get #1 installed on the right tower and then check for 18436572 for the firing order. The distributor rotates clockwise when viewed from the top. That's about it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech

Seems like after-market wires are never exactly the same length as stock (or other after-market wires). If you match lengths, you'll get to the end and have a wire too short or too long. I always go for longest, next longest, etc.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Eeek...I see what you mean. With the MSD set I have 3 "pairs" of equal length, and then I have two oddballs that are several inches off (they match two of the other "pairs"). Hmmm....

#1 -- longest
#2 -- second longest
#3 -- etc.

?????

[ 10-07-2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Scott Reeves HSV ]

1982 Camaro, 305, 4bbl Q-Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode