82 camaro charging system - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 03, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I had an alternator go bad on my 82 camaro overnight. i replaced it and still no output.with the car running i have 12 volts at the red wire in the connector and at the red wire going to the stud.Alternator is grounded properly.i was told the regulator may not be getting energized because of a bad fuseible link to the ignition. i know from schematics there are two links in the charging system. one off the red wire in the alt. connector and the other on the purple wire from the starter toi the ignition. any ideas were on the vehicle i can find these? is there any other way to rewire the alternator to make the regulator work properly? thanks. this ones got me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 03, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

Great you have a schematic. I don't have one in front of me so if I'm a little off, refer back to your schematic. I'll use an 84 Olds as an example 'cause I can do that off of the top of my head. The fusible links aren't your problem. If you don't have about 14.5 volts on the alternator stud, the alternator isn't putting out. If this alternator has two wires in the alternator connector, one wire (red) does go back to the alternator stud. The other wire (black) goes back to an idiot light. I'm guessing you have an idiot light car. The other side of the idiot light comes off a fuse. On my sample Olds this is a pink/black wire. Guessing this fuse is popped. Olds calls it the "gage" fuse.
If you pull the alternator connector, turn the key to ON, and measure the black wire to ground, suspect that you will not see 12 volts to ground.
Without this 12 volts, from the ignition switch, the alternator shuts off.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 03, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks. i did test the black wire in the connector and it didnt read 12 volts.i wasnt sure if it was a ground or not. now i know.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 03, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech

As I tried to say and hope I did. The test must be done with the connector unplugged and the ignition switch on. Otherwise it will read under 12 volts.
*EDIT*
Forgot, in a hurry. The engine doesn't need to be running.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 01-23-2003).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode