Brands of wiring harnesses? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

What are the brands you have dealt with, ease, price, etc.? I have a 68 base car with no A/C, floorshift automatic. Im going to keep my original speedo and fuel gauge, and I have an aftermarket tach, oil pressure and water temp. I figure it is a good winter break project, and that I can finish it in about a week's time, right? Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech

Classic Industries sells some nice pieces. Painless also makes harnesses but I'm not sure how original they look.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 06:44 AM

I did my '69 with Factory Fit wires. The entire car, actually. Great fit, looks good, good quality and reasonably priced. Just my .02

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I put in a front harness, sold by Classic, made by M&H Fabricator. It was perfect.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 02:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I had this exact same question a few weeks back. It came down to either Factory Fit or M&H. I ended up ordering Factory Fit, primarily because Rick's First Generation carries them and that's where I order most if not all of my other stuff (besides eBay).

I'm very, very, impressed with how close the Factory Fit product is to to the originals. They're right up there alongside Gardner's Exhaust in terms of correctness.

On the negative side, there are no instructions whatsoever (I'm okay, since I tagged and photographed every single lead on my old harnesses) and they don't come with any fuses, bulbs, flashers, or mounting clips.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Thanks guys, I will look into both Classic and M&H Fabricator, and see the route I wanna go.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech

i bought one wiring harness from painless when i has some shorts in my factory harness in my 88 camaro and i must tell you that it was nice and easy and requuired almost no critical thinking. You are running new wires to your tach guage right. If you want a winter break project, i would get the tape measure out and measure some wire lengths and then go sit on the couch watching TV and make my own.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 11:35 AM

When you guys are referring to the Factory Fit, you mean the replacement stock harness not the universal fit, right ??

I'm building a Pro-touring '69 and need to re-wire everything. Its going to have alot of aftermarket stuff, so I dont want to buy a perfect, wrapped nicely, harness and then have to butcher and cut it up to splice in the aftermarket stuff.

Any feedback on the universal kit by Factory Fit ????
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 05:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage
drjdmv, yes factory fit is a direct replacement for the original harness.you would most likely want to use one by painless.

------------------
My 67 CAMARO
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 05:23 PM

M&H is the way to go. ordered mine straght from them and they did the modification for my electric choke and HEI. Fits great and looks original.

------------------
Bill
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deejaygee:
On the negative side, there are no instructions whatsoever (I'm okay, since I tagged and photographed every single lead on my old harnesses) and they don't come with any fuses, bulbs, flashers, or mounting clips.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the factory fit harness color codes match the original? Any chance a factory wiring diagram could still be referenced if one 'got lost'. I thought the other brands (i.e. painless) color codes weren't a match for the factory harness. Maybe I'm wrong.

-dnult

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

"Factory Fit" is the brand name for the wiring harness. Each harness is virtually identical to the original that it replaces so, yes, you can easily refer to a factory or repair manual wiring guide to install the harness. The colors, connectors, wire gauge, length, etc are all just like the original. Wiring harnesses look hairy, especially the underdash harness, but it's actually the easiest thing I've had to do on my car.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech

The problem that I see with the factory wiring diagrams is that they don't include wiring diagrams that include options. I suppose the it would be too many diagrams with all the conceivable option choices. But if you have options on your car that includes wiring, the correct wiring will come from Factory Fit, but there will be wires there that you may not know where they go to. It can get a little confusing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I am in the process of installing a Painless kit in my 69 convertible. It is a very complete kit. Wires are color coded and labeled all the way down the wire. My opinion on this restoration is do it once and do it right.

Just my 2 cents

Bob

------------------
69 Convertible - Restification in Progress
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 05:50 PM
Tech Team

I may be a little late in posting, considering you may have already ordered. But here goes, I second M&H Electric Fabricators. I bought both harness for the front clip. It was exactly like the original. They even modified the front lamp harness for me to hook up a internally regulated alternator. It cost only $19 more and it made for a clean look and installion. Good luck to you.
Patrick Byrne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode