heater coil wires - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what do the different wires for heater coil do.
I switched the car from A/C to just standard heat and the coil is switched from the outside, to the inside of the car.
I want to know what the wires do to so that i may wire it up on the inside easier.
thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech

Heater coil?? A couple of small coiled wires about an inch long?? Guessing we are talking about the blower resistors. They are used to provide the slower speeds for the blower motor.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

John, thats what i'm talking about, what do the individual wires do?
I'm moving it from the outside of the car to the inside, and need to know the specifics becuase of the way its wired on the outside seems to be different.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

The individual coiled wire is actually a resistor. More accurately it is resistive wire. Very much the same as the wires in an electric toaster so they run warm. What the heater blower switch does is select one or both resistors to slow down the blower fan speed. Without them, the fan would always run on high speed. If used, inside the car, they need to be installed into the heater box so the blower blows air over them to keep them cooler.
Your car may use different resistors between an A/C set-up and non-A/C set-up. Usually because the connector plugs are different. I can’t tell what year you have and if I could, no books with me. Need someone with a non-A/C schematic to look up the rest of the details.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

What year car?

How far into the wiring system did you go to do this swap? Are you using a standard (non A/C) under dash harness, or trying to make an A/C wiring system work?

Did you replace the heater control unit (the thing with the levers and fan switch) in the dash with a non A/C one?

Did you replace the inner and outer heater boxes so you have an original style air distribution system? The heater coil is always on the inside of the car wether the car has A/C or not. The evaporator core is the one on the outside of the firewall.

A Standard (non A/C)fan is only three speeds, and A/C fan is four speeds. I beleive the A/C blower motor has a higher fractional HP rating as it has a 25 Amp high speed fuse in it, while the non A/C blower motor uses a 20 amp circuit.

High speed in both setups bypass the blower motor resistors and run the fan directly off the battery.

The standard (non A/C) blower motor resistor only has two resistor coils, and a three prong connector on it and is located in the top of the inner heater box above the passengers left foot. The A/C blower motor resistor has 3 resistor coils and a 4 prong connector and is located on the top left corner of the A/C suitcase in the engine compartment.

I can tell you what color wire goes where for a 69, if I know what your starting with. Just be warned that if you didn't replace the inner heater box and the dash control unit with non A/C versions and you place the resistor in the inner box it's possible to put the levers in a position that will block off air flow through the heater core, and you will melt the resistors in about 30 seconds.

Did you see this thread?
https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...9;t=000012;p=1
or this:
https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...;f=10;t=000468

[ 10-07-2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Mark C ]

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Mark i replaced everything with standard non A/C equipment, heater resistor is inside the box in the location GM designated.
The switch panel is the A/C panel, and the wiring is the A/C wiring.
I did remove the vacuum lines, and have started removing the wires that are A/C Specific.

My car is a 67'

I'm trying to get the A/C wiring to work with the standard system, and just eliminate the A/C specific wiring.

I'm not worried about it being "correct" appearing, but if for simplicity reasons i need the standard heater only wiring and switch panel, i'll get one.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the links, good reading.

My only confusion (So far) is that i have 3 wires going to the resistor, then one branches off and goes to the AC relay (which is now removed) this is the dark blue wire. Is this dark blue the + feed from the battery.

It would seem that way, but better ask then take the chances.

GM tied off the orange wire that is for heater only cars, i used this and plan on removing the other wires.
This wire traces back to the fuse panel, as opposed to the A/C wire which came directly from the horn relay.
Is there any concern with using this orange wire (I'm using the "heater only" blower motor, not the AC)?

Thanks Mark, my appolgies for the 50 questions, but i like to know whats up before removing anything that i may need.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I've only got the 69 wiring diagram, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the 67's would be the same but you never know.

The original orange wire in the engine compartment that runs to the blower motor is taped up and left in the wiring gutter on an A/C car. The opposite end goes thru the firewall in the right bulkhead connector, and would have ended at the 3 speed fan control switch connector behind the center of the dash. Note that the fan control switch is only a three speed control switch, lo, medium and high. This connector originally had 5 wires on it, 2 orange, 1 light blue, 1 yellow and 1 brown. The brown wire is the main power feed to the blower motor and runs back to the Fuse panel. The yellow, light blue and other orange wire run to the blower motor resistor. The yellow wire is the hot side for one speed, and the light blue is the hot side for the other speed, and the orange is the return from the resistor going to the fan. This connector is usually cut free and discarded when the A/C wiring harness is installed. The A/C wiring harness uses the brown wire as the main feed to the A/C extension. The brown wire is connected to the lo blow contol switch which is normally closed and supplies power to the rest of the system except when the Temperature Control lever (TOP one in a 67/68) is in the OFF position. In the OFF position the switch is open and the fan will not run and you can't energize the clutch on the A/C comressor.

From the LO BLO Switch a tan wire runs to the 4 speed A/C fan control switch. From here 3 wires, 1 yellow, 1 light blue and 1 light green run to the blower motor resistor, and an orange wire runs to the blower motor relay. The orange wire picks up the blower motor relay in high speed, which in turn closes a contact on the relay, and power comes through the larger #12 AWG wire from the horn relay to feed the fan directly off the battery.

There are a few other connections and switches that are involved in this system that will probably prevent the fan from running with the AC slides in certain positions.

This is the under hood wiring of a non A/C car: (note 63K file size)

http://home.townisp.com/~markcanning...o/HOODWIRE.JPG

This is the under dash wiring of a non A/C car: (note: 337K file size)
http://home.townisp.com/~markcanning...o/DASHWIRE.JPG

I've got the 69 A/C wiring diagram if you need that. Don't have a 67/68 version.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Mark,
First, let me thank you for the continual help.

Here's how mine is set up so far, i've re-routed and removed a few things, but still haven't it working yet, it seems i can't get power to the blower motor.

I have the heavy guage brown wire (hot) coming into the slide switches, and it's connected to a blower switch.
A yellow wire leaves the blower switch and runs to 3 other yellows all joined together.
2 of the yellows run back to the fan speed switch. the other runs to the heater resistor.
I also have an orange and a light blue running to the heater resistor.
I wired up and plugged in the resistor.

Under the dash i have one loose orange wire, but i'm uncertain of its purpose, it is hot.

Also i've connected the engine bay orange wire to the blower motor.
I'm under the impression that the blower motor grounds itself out on the body.

I checked the blower motor with a jump pack and it works, all the switches worked before hand as well.

I have one loose wire in the engine bay which originates at the horn relay and was connected to a slip on connector, but i cut it off to remove it the connector. The wire is fused.

Maybe you can make heads or tales of this situation.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I figured it out today.
Thanks for the help throughout the wiring project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode