Hard short on parking lamp circuit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 17, 04:34 PM
badgers!

Thumbs down Hard short on parking lamp circuit

Hello! I am a long time lurker on this forum, and without asking you guys saved me a lot of trouble many times. I am hoping you can point me in the right direction on a short I am experiencing.

So I successfully rewired my 1968 camaro six months ago. For the first time in 17 years EVERYTHING WORKED! Pretty cool, for a while anyway. I recently purchased speakers, an amplifier and a head unit to install, and here is where the problems began.

I noticed while installing the head unit that I did not properly secure the wires behind the instrument cluster and from the fuse block, and along the drivers kick panel. Here is where the trouble began. As I moved the wires, I accidentally arced the green/red wire on the headlamp switch. This smoked the switch, and now I have the following problems:
-parking lamp fuse keeps blowing
-no instrument lights of any kind- none on the cluster, console, or dome lamp (Floor mounted courtesy lights still work for some reason)
-No parking lamps or turn signals
-When the hazards are activated, passenger front and driver rear are the only ones that work

So far, I physically traced the entire parking lamp circuit and verified nothing is chafed or melted. I also removed all the bulbs on the parking circuit and verified the sockets look good. I keep going over the wiring diagram and I am at a loss. I cant see what could be causing so many issues.

Any input or troubleshooting tips you guys can offer would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 17, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Hard short on parking lamp circuit

I see you pulled the bulbs to check the sockets but did you try to leave all the bulbs out? Sometimes bulbs can be shorted and not show it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 17, 07:14 PM
badgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
I see you pulled the bulbs to check the sockets but did you try to leave all the bulbs out? Sometimes bulbs can be shorted and not show it.
Crap, didnt even think of that. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 06:18 AM
badgers!

OK, finally pulled all the parking lamp bulbs, and you got it- no more short. I will follow up with the other crap as I get time. Thanks for the assist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode