ignition harness schematics - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

restoring the ingnition harness today on the camaro i noticed the the terminal locations for the ingnition side in the plastic block are not in the same location that my 68 manual says they should be.the purple start wire is ok, wipers ok,temp,oil,heater,allthere but im left with a reddish/fadedto pink? 10 gauge wire.where does this go.my 69 book hasnt showed up yet in the mail! can any one get me going on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

Sorry don't have a diagram. It sounds like you are working on the inside bulkhead connector from the wires you call out. The bulkhead connector has contacts on it and mates with the connector in the firewall.
It also sounds like you are working on the engine harness connector. The one that ties to the items on the engine.
If so, i'm guessing that the wire you are looking at is the pink ignition wire. On an original points car comes from the ignition switch and it becomes the braided resistor wire that goes to coil (+).
*EDIT*
If you are on the engine side of the firewall and you have HEI, perhaps someone replaced the resistor wire.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-10-2002).]
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

john you are right,but the calibrated wire for points are not bieng used by me.an HEI is in now.the pink wire is cut off only 8inchs left by some one.we never used it. but the car ran before.this wire doesnt show up in the 68 book.is the sixty nine different.can some one scan the front harness and e mail to [email protected] thanks.or keep writing ill give more info.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

thankyou,for the diagram,this 10gau is joined with the resistance wire at the bulk head.it looks factory to me. drawing says the resistor wire from the bulk head goes to coil. from there it goes to left side of starter/not the start terminal but the other side of (s) terminal from what i see.do they want the red-pink to go to the non-(s)terminal on the starter?i remember 75-up chevys have this for cold season starts.is this right?i could use input.thanks.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech

Well the diagram didn't come from me. Don't have one, don't need one. A couple of things. No factory schematic is going to show the HEI. It didn't exist in that car. If it is a HEI input, joining the wire is wrong. The original resistance wire needs to be fully removed and replaced with the strained wire for the HEI.
With HEI you do not need the return wire fron the starter solenoid. The solenoid "R" terminal doesn't exist on modern solenoids.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

guys,i would like to figure out what this other pink/red wire is for before i hook up the HEI.i know factory manuals dont show HEI,sorry if thats what it sounded like.so lets pretend its still a point ignition sytem in the car now.so we can figure out this 10gauge red/pink wire and where it goes and what it used to do.because it might have to stay or go i dont want to remove it to find out i needed it!.this 10gau pink/red was connected to the resistance wire at the bulk head by GM,whats it for and what did it feed when the car was built?regardless of it bieng needed or not.this car ran 2years ago with point ign.i should of said that.sorry.like i said it was cut short and left there taped up.i want to fix it right and figure it out it had to do something.its a 400sb,no a/c, thanks
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech

Late68,
I see a 12 gauge red wire coming out of the lower bulkhead connector(engine side), 5th cavity down on left side (looking from the front of the car) that goes to the horn relay and key buzzer. It splices to a 16 gauge black fusible link on the horn relay. The splice is probally taped up so you may not see the 12 gauge red wire just looking at the horn relay. This wire feeds the ignition switch, headlight switch, and instrument cluster.
Hope this helps.
Drew
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

this pink/red wire thats joined together with the resistor wire at the bulk head turned out to be the idle stop solenoid wire.it took a while but its figured out now.thankyou!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech

Didn't think GM used an Idle Stop Solenoid in 69, but could be wrong. Thought they came out in 70.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-11-2002).]
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 02:09 AM
Senior Tech

Late68, the only other wire I saw in a 69' diagram on the the engine side of bulkhead connector was a 20 gauge pink w/black tracer which goes to horn relay also, terminal #4. The connector is a flat 1/4" female connector but it is no where near the carburetor. I verified it looking at my car. These two wires are the only "factory" ones I see that are red or pink on the engine harness.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

ill try do get a digital camara soon and post it,not sure if i cando that here.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

Just a thought that might make some sense. I think the bulkhead connectors are the same between the 69 and 70. That is, they are the same physical size. Could be wrong again but maybe one of the experts here knows that answer.
Beyond that, what if the pin-outs between the 69 & 70 were the same. They don't need to be. Pins can be moved around but speculating that they are.
The 70 engine harness does contain the extra pink wire that Late68 is talking about. It's a 12 gage but that's close enough to a 10. Believe that it goes into the same contact as the resistor wire.
Just guessing around but what if the original engine harness was changed? Maybe the original owner had a problem under the warranty and the dealership replaced it with a later harness to fix the problem. Maybe that's what he could get the fastest. I dunno, might explain the wire that looks factory but I still think doesn't go on the year car.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

didnt get a camara yet,bur john muha i would like to buy you a cyber beer!from me to you.i was thinking the same thing about the ignition harness.it could be out of a different car so i pulled one of a 69 camaro front clip a guy was parting out in town for 10bucks,the 10 guauge wire like john says connects with the same contact as the resitor wire.this 10gau wire is all there with a heat sleeve,and a small quarter inch female connector.this wire is way way to short to reach the horn relay like drew69 says.anyone recomend a good camera to buy.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech

Wow, You guys have me baffled. My car is a late 3rd week of Sept. 69' build date.

I don't see a wire for an idle stop solenoid for a 6 or 8 cylinder on a 69'. Why would you need a 10 or 12 gauge wire for this anyway?

Not to shoot your theroy down John but it is almost impossible to get a wiring harness for a car that is one year old under warranty. That has been my experience not to say it couldn't happen and I'm talking recently not 33 years ago. The body guys know, try getting body parts for a current production model. Better stand in line with a ticket with a # on it and hope it's your lucky month. Wiring harnesses are harder to get than body parts. What's the VIN # on the car your dealing with Late68?

You've got me stumped. 10 to 12 gauge wire means 30 amps at least to me and those sizes feed the fuse panel or starter on a 1st Gen.

Drew
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

i took pics,should be ready tomorrow drew heres the numbers
ST69 12437 NOR 123534
TR 711 79 79PNT
10B
VIN# 124379N516598
engine non match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode