Battery in trunk... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 04, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I wonder if i could use this item: Summit to connect and disconnect the powerkabel from the battery/trunk to the starter?

And im also a bit worried about the slightly gas smell/fumes from my truck when it has been closed for a while, i dont wont any sparks.

I'll be using an Otpima battery.

If i understand it correctly i will connect 2 wires, one gnd and one + from the ignitionswitch, to that solenoid(above) and then connect the thick + kable that goes to the starter on each end of the solenoid?

Is this correct, or am i totaly off topic? [img]smile.gif[/img]

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">Camaro RS 68</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 04, 05:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
It will require it's own circuit from the batt to operate.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

DjD:

Do you mean the extra positive kabel for the generator, and all other assesories?

And can someone explain how much 1 gauge is, and is 8 gauge larger than 1 gauge?

When i have read some threads about batt/trunk they seam to have 2 gauge positive and 8 gauge negative cable.

thanks

<a href="

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

What exactly are you trying to do. The kit from summit is a ford starter solenoid kit. It is designed to be used for a starter hot start problem. It is for replacing the gm solenoid on the starter. Actually it doesnt replace the gm solenoid, it is wired in series with the gm solenoid. If you trying to isolate the power Summit sells a battery disconnect switch. I usually wire it by breaking the negative wire to the battery. The higher number on the wire the smaller it is. Aka #1 is bigger that #8.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What im trying to do is that i dont want that starter cable from the trunk to starter hot all the time, just when i crank the starter, and then i will draw a seperate cable for the rest of the car with a fuse. So if i crash the car and the sheetmetal is cutting that 2 gauge cable somewhere and starts a fire or a battery explosion.

Okey, then i understand the gauge, but does anyone know how thick 1 gauge is so i can convert it to square millimeter?

<a href="
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 04, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by MagnusRS68:
What im trying to do is that I dont want that starter cable from the trunk to starter hot all the time, just when i crank the starter, and then i will draw a seperate cable for the rest of the car with a fuse. So if I crash the car and the sheetmetal is cutting that 2 gauge cable somewhere and starts a fire or a battery explosion.

Okay, then I understand the gauge, but does anyone know how thick 1 gauge is so i can convert it to square millimeter?
I have my car wired up with a battery in the trunk, a starter relay (similiar to the summit piece) also in the trunk along with a second relay in the trunk for the alternator. I also have them all fused in the trunk.

If you are worried about the large starter cable becoming pinched and/or shorted from a crash then you could just leave the summit part off of the car and install an ANL fuse back by the trunk mounted battery. The ANL fuses go up to 300A in size and depending on the wire it is hooked to and also the current demands and the fuse holder style you could make up anywhere from a 300A to 600A fused circuit. I've had a 300A on mine for the starter and have never blown it.

If you just want the starter wire hot only when cranking the car then you will need the Summit Part. You will also need to run a wire off of the key switch or off of the old wire that went to the starter that will only have power when you want to crank over the engine and that wire will go to that solenoid (relay). Another fused wire needs to be run off of the battery to power the rest of the car.

The reason I have seperate relays on my car for the starter and alternator is so that when the key is off I can wrench on the motor and not have to worry about arcing across anything.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 09:04 PM
BTC
Senior Tech

Check the tech articles at www.madelectrical.com They have a wiring diagram for a trunk battery and trunk soleniod.

68/Z28,35O LT1<br />RICHMOND 5 SP,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode