RS system 67 vs. 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 04, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Has anyone tried running a 67 RS headlamp system in a 68 Camaro? Thought it might be better & more reliable than a 68 system. Anyone ever attempted this & if so what parts would be needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 04, 01:36 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
the factory went to the '68 & '69 system because the '67 didn't work very well... The expense of changing over would be high...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 04, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

I have a 67 RS/SS Camaro, I put everything new in my system, it works great I;m using the motors from Retro Electric, Mark has some great info in his site, just do a search on the 67 RS Lights & you will find the info to get to this site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 04, 10:14 AM

I am getting ready to redo the hole system on my 67 RS. The last 68 rs I had, I rebuilt the hole vacuum system, and a week or two later one of the
actuator vacuum canister went bad. I will let you know how it gose.
Pat
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 04, 06:27 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

The problem with the 67 system was that the GM electric motors had gears made of nylon and they wore quickly and would fail when the doors were blocked by snow or ice. That is the reason for going to the vacum system.

However today there are superior design electric motor atuactors available as johnnyr explained.

The more difficult problem when converting a 68RS to 67RS system is you'd better understand basic electricity and be good with automotive wiring. The reason being is you'll need to use a 67RS front wiring harness and the firewall feed through block terminals are indexed differently than the 68RS firewall block. Only a few wires are different. You may be able to remove the wires and reclock them I don't know. I also don't know if the firewall block is physically different on a 67, I have never owned a 67. If it is different you can probably make your own harness out of a 68 harness by selecting and adding the correct gage wiring, modifying it to add the 67 headlight circuit,if you are skilled at that sort of thing. It would not be hard to do for me. I considered it at one point on a 68RS that had 67 doors put in the grill. But you'll need the entire system for a 67 including the limit switches, the relays and diode including the mounting panel and of course the headlight switch.

But like DJD said, it'll be a lot of work and prety expensive. I'd just stick with the 68 system.

[ 09-13-2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: SY1 ]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech

I've had a 68 rs & now a 67 rs. I think the 67 system is better. I tried (& had to) hassle with the 68 vacuum system for years. At one point I had basically all new parts & the thing still wouldn't work like new. The wiring on the 67 can pretty complex (to me) but once you get the thing working, it works like new. [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech

SY1, you don't need a new headlight switch: since everything is electrical, the switch is even the same as on the standard Camaro on the '67. What you do need is the '67 bellcrank: it is different on the '67 and actually cheaper 'cause it is simpler than on the '68 bellcrank assembly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 04, 12:56 PM

You gotta set the open/closed actuating micro-switches just right or the doors will screw the motors up on a '67!!

How do I know??

pdq67

PS., mine have been unplugged for longer then I can remember and I have just left them open.. I think the ice got them years ago..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode