Water in headlights? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 04, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Question

Can't seem to figure this one out. After installing new headlights they get water in them, not both but it will get in the right side or the left side. The headlights need to get changed because it blow one out when it get to deep in the light. The first time I had water in the right side headlight then it blew, changed it out then the left blew about 4 or 5 months later (no water) so I bought the ones that come in the purple box that are supposed to be brighter. They are.

Problem is after we started to get some good hard rains now I am getting water in the left side head light? It has about an inch of water in it now and looks quite funky, but has not blown out the light yet.

I can't figure out how it's getting in the lights, I have looked and pulled out the light and can not see water leaking from the lens and it is not cracked? Any ideas? I am thinking of drilling a small drain hole in the lens as a temp fix, but I sure would like to solve this issue. I gotta think what it gets really cold in a next few weeks or so that it will freeze and break the light.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 04, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
This may sound stupid, but unless your using one of the newer type halogens that the bulb is a separate piece that screws into the bowl. You should not get water in a bulb. They are vacuume sealed just like a bulb in your house. This prevents the tungston from burning out so quickly. If you have water, then you have really bad lights.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 04, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

They are halogens made by selvanyia or GE (spelling)that do not have the removable bulb. They are basicly stock replacements. It strange I have had the problem with two different sets of lights. Just can't figure how it getting in there? After looking at both, the other has condensation in it? It's just misted inside not a gold fish bowl like the other one.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 04, 07:34 AM
a67

I have seen some headlights that are improperly sealed. Check the back center of the light for a glob of what looks like hot-glue. The glob won't always seal and after a while will even fall off.

Bob.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 04, 03:01 PM
Team Member
John

If they're sealed beams and have moisture accumulating in them, they're defective, period; return them. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 04, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Never even thought of that John. I will look into it on Tuesday.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 04, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Huh, glad John had the right thought on that one.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 04, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Well went by Autozone today with reciept and no deal on returning them or what I asked for was to exchange them for new ones. They are not really expensive but it makes me mad that people can sell crap and not give you an exchange. Counter man told me the lens was cracked on one. I pulled it out and had him try and tell were the crack was and rolled the water around in the light and no leaks or drips!

He looked confused!!! So am I inregard to how it's getting in them as this is the second set.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 04, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Joe, water in the headlight is the new light cleaning system. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 04, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Joe.........the AutoZone guy is BS. I would return them to the store, ask for the manager, and an exchange. I worked there for 8 years (part-time) and they are instructed to handle these returns unless it is VERY CLEAR the installer really buggerd it up and broke it. There ae even times when we did the exchange anyway just to "save face". Water in a sealed beam is a factory mistake and it does not happen very often, but, all things are possible.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 08:23 AM

i have the same problem with my sealed beam. just moisture in one. makes the whole front look bad.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 08:24 AM

how after the purchase before you can't take it back for an exchange? i've had mine for about 18months.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

tried taking them back again with no luck. Told the manager that this is a samll town (13,000 people)and it has 5 autoparts stores and Walmart. He can take my headlight back or loose my business. Guess what, no more autozone for me except free tool rental. Told him that also.

Can't figure out why they are getting water in them but the next ones I get might be the cheap plastic with interchangable bulbs. Will buy those after one blows out from water or it freezes and breaks.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode