fuel gauge always reads empty?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have done a search and read lots of posts about fuel gauges always reading full. Mine is doing the opposite. When I turn the key to on, it pegs to empty. I have performed the test many have described disconnecting the lead in the trunk (the gauge shoots to full) and then grounding it (the gauge drops to empty) and the gauge responds as it should so I think it is fine. Any thoughts on what I should check? I have console gauges by the way? Also, I don't have access to an ohmmeter. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Cool

Sounds like a bad fuel tank sender unit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Lance

I would agree with TOMSTV, it does sound like the sender is bad. Pull the sender out and put a meter on it. The resistance should vary as you move the sender through it's range. Resistance increases as the float goes down (empty).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

You have a short somewhere between where you disconnected it and the sender. Short could be in the sender itself, but check the area around the grommet where the wire goes thru the trunk floor.

Resistance decreases as the float gets lower in the tank not the otherway around.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with Mark, a short to ground somewhere between the connection and the sending unit or a bad sending unit.

I fixed a friends car several months ago with the same problem. A mechanic had just replaced the tank and sending unit with new parts. Turned out the mechanic did not take the time to tape the sending wire down properly on the top of the tank and pinched the wire between the tank and mounting rail. Dead short.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies. I did not tape the wire down when I installed the tank nor do I know how this should be done. Can you guide me? When you say shorting out, is it possible that the connection right out of the sender is grounding against the trunk floor? When I drop the tank, what should I look for? I will say it could be the sender, but since it worked when I took it out, I have a feeling that I didnt' get everything installed correctly. Thanks again for the help!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Look for a crushed section on the wire. When the wire gets crushed on the tank it can short to ground.

The tape is used to hold the wire in position during installation. Just tape the wire to the tank in a straight line to the general area where the wire goes through the trunk floor. Avoid the section of the tank that seats to the body where the wire can get crushed. The Assembly Instruction Manual shows the proper installation of the wire.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

CarlC- thanks, I will go drop the tank and take a look at it. I have the Assembly Manual so I will take a look at that also. Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just to close the thread, I dropped the tank and rerouted the wire per in assembly manual using some duct tape to hold it in place. It appeared as though the lead from the sender was crimped between the vertical slots that go around the sender and the trunk floor. Connected everything up and it worked perfectly after filling it up at the station tonight. I appreciate the help. Now on to the temp sending unit .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode