67 Dash Yellow wire and bulb? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 04, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Dumb question, but I can't figure it out....

There is a yellow wire with a black plastic connector that then goes to a light bulb in the area of my dash pod. It's not the high beam indicator (which is green), not the courtesy light (which is orange and white) and not the heater control panel light (too short). I can't see anywhere else that a bulb would go to around the dash pod area. It's too short to reach over to the ash tray.....I'm stumped, I looked through the assembly manual and I can't find any option that would add another light around the dash pod.

Can you guys help me out here.....I just can't seem to figure this out!! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 04, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Wasnt to the radio?

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 02:14 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Question

Could it be the low fuel warning Light?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Too short for the radio....

Doesn't the low fuel warning light get it's power from the circuit board? Yellow is the right color for the low fuel.....I probably plugged in too many bulbs into the back of the dash pod. It would totally make sense that the low fuel would need to come in from a separate wire.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
John

It's for the "courtesy" light that goes at the bottom of the dash panel (one on each side). Since convertibles don't have a dome light, they use these instead. Should be a bracket for the light to snap into low on the dash, near the e-brake release.

Edit:
Just noticed that you said it is not for the courtesy light, and that wire is orange/white. If I'm not mistaken, the ones on my 68 are yellow. I'll take a look and see for sure.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Nope, that one has two wires orange and white.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:09 PM

Paul,

There two yellow wires I know of for a 67, in the dash area. A 20 gauge yellow for the radio and a 18 gauge yellow that goes to the heater control switch. It is separate from the Heater control light, which I believe is grey. The only other yellow wire I know about "in" the car runs on the body harness to the left tail light. Have you traced the wire back to see if it is part of the harness or plugs into the accessory part of the fuse box, or is a splice with the piece of wrong color wire?

......Or it could be from a option I am unfamiliar with, (like the low fuel light), Many of the options aren't part of the harness though. Is it part of the harness?

Victor
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Well, I'm pretty sure that it is the low fuel light. As I said before it would make total sense that the low fuel light would not be powered via the circuit board, but by an external wire since the console gauge option was not included in every car.

My problem was that I just filled all of the bulb holes on the back of the gauge pod with the little twist in light bulb holders. I'll just have to unscrew the gauge pod and put the bulb from the yellow wire into the low fuel spot on the speedo.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 07:13 PM

Paul,

Just out of curiousity, is the low fuel light part of the dash harness, the console harness or is it separate?

I thought that the low fuel warning light would have been lit just through the circuit board like the other idiot lights. (Signal from the sensor in the tank traveling through the different engine harness for console gauges) Was this a factory gauge car? If it is I am envious, I wish mine had that option from the factory!)

Victor
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 07:35 PM

Paul,

Just looked at your 67 L30/M20. How is the resto coming? are the photos up to date. I have a 67 RS/SS convertible I am restoring with a similar build date, (04B), but mine is a Norwood car. I waffled back and forth so much thinking my car was a SS, then a L30/M20 it wasn't even funny. (Had a saginaw in when I bought it but the tranny was from a 69, and on and on and on.) It is great that you have the complete drive train, and IMHO the flat hood looks much better than the SS hood.

Victor
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

I converted my 69 to console gauges and part of it was running a wire from the low fuel module up to the idiot light. My 67 came with the console gauges (who knows if they were factory, I found the car in a mud puddle in New Mexico and it had them then), so it makes sense to me that the low fuel light would have a separate wire as there is an additional wire used to power the low fuel light in the 69 so I assumed the same for 67 (of course I could be wrong).

No, the photos aren't up to date. I have been meaning to take some new ones. In fact I'll probably do that now. There isn't too much left on the 67 (IMHO anyway).

Here's a couple new pics (they are about 100k each):

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...04-Front01.jpg

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...604-Pass01.jpg

(Redline Tires are on!!)

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...04-Trunk01.jpg

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...Interior01.jpg

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...Interior02.jpg

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...Interior03.jpg

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M20/L3...Interior04.jpg

Underneath I have to install the fuel tank and line as well as the parking brake.

Interior has a few odds and ends left like door panels, glass, top, console restoration, glovebox and door and other misc stuff.

After that, drivetrain goes back in, fire engine, bleed brakes, front clip on and she's going down the road!!! I have to repaint the car though as the paint job on it is marginal at best.

[ 09-06-2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: paulm ]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 08:41 AM

Angry

Wow! Nice work Paul, very clean looking. That is a [email protected]#* of a find in a mud puddle. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Victor
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Thanks Victor!

Ya, I bought that car back before people planned their retirement around selling the old junk camaros in their backyard!! I got the 69 back then too (within a month of the 67). Me and a buddy used to drive all over in New Mexico finding cars (two or three days at a time). He still does it, but I have been busy with my 67, 69 and 35 chevy.

Oh, yes the low fuel light is part of the console harness. It goes from the low fuel module back up through the harness to the dash light. I should look at my 67 coupe (that has a console, but no gauges) and see if the console plug is missing the yellow wire for the low fuel light.

Just checked, no yellow wire to the console plug on the 67 coupe.

[ 09-06-2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: paulm ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode