Ignition wires - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Does anyone have any suggestions as to ignition wire sets for 68 327 210hp? Is it best to buy original from Ground Up, Rick's, etc, or Auto Zone, etc.? Any recommendations on specific brands, pros and cons?

I have learned soooo much at this site. It just amazes me, the knowledge flowing through here. I want to say that I really appreciate all of the responses I have gotten. They really help.

Thanks,

H-dog

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 08:46 PM
Tech Team

What you want to look for is a good quality spiral core wire set. I like the wires by MSD,Magnacor,and Taylor. The Jacobs are good, only more loosley wound than the others. Jacobs plays the resistance comparison game to the hilt. Don't get caught up in that. The current travels across the top of the spiral betwenn the insulation covering the first layer. Stay away from the cheaper spiral wires and definatly the carbon wires. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 Restored stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake
smog legal
Camaro Lover
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 00, 05:44 AM

I have found the Borg-Warner SELECT wire sets to be of exellent quality (as good as any big name "racing" wire), and are usually available from lesser sources than all out speed shops, for regular person money.

I get my B/W sets from Pep Boys, and have had one set on my 1982 S10 for over 6 years without problems. I have many customers who run them without problems.

Main thing is to use a spiral core design, as the spiral core is the part that keeps crossfire and misfire problems from happening within the wire sets, and will keep the most spark voltage going to the plugs with any type of ignition system.

I have used the B/W 7mm stock spiral core sets on a few Ford small block, small cap HEI systems I build, for historical accuracy, and have had exellent results, same as with their cut to fit and precut 8mm sets.

If you want "racing" wire, go to a speed shop and get them, just make sure they are a spiral core design.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 00, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks, Galen and I-man

I will see to it that I get the spiral wound type for sure. The previous owner of my 68 conv. has some of the wires so long that they are routed through the heater hose clips on the inner fender. Must have got the wrong set, or custom cut too long.

Thanks guys,

H-dog
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 00, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

IgnitionMan,

Are there any benefits using an 8mm vs. 7mm wire for a typical street car or is it all advertising hype?

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 00, 05:44 PM

The 8mm wires do have an extra .040 added area to dampen bleed off. I'd use them if I could.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 00, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Whether or not you use their product - Magnecor has an interesting web site. www.magnecor.com. I've used their wires on several vehicles and am satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode