dash lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 69 pace car with dash lights that do not work. I have checked the bulbs and they are OK. Also i am missing the all the the parts to make my cowl induction hood functional. Should i get after market, or look for original parts? Any opinions? Thank You for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech

do the idiot lights and turn indicators work?? if not, make sure you have a good dash ground.
make sure you have power from the head light switch, and that the dimming function works properly, you can try to jump 12V to the printed circut,as diagnostics, but be careful not to probe the fuel level sending unit (if it's in the cluster, it is on my 68, but a 69 i had was on the console) or you'll kill it
standing by
john
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 00, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Cool

All other indicator lights work. High beam ETC,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 00, 02:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Smile

Paceman, I can comment on the cowl induction question. You'll probably have to go aftermarket. You can buy complete setup for around $400. I doubt you'll ever find all the pieces you would need looking around for original stuff. But stranger things have happened. Good luck.

------------------
Steve http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 00, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech

Paceman The dash lights have thier own fuse it is the little short one 1/2 the size of all the others, Check it with a test light, you should have power on both sides (lights on)of the fuse, Nothing? Turn the knob of the headlight switch from end to the other, Any power at the fuse? If only on one side replace the fuse. Still nothingat the fuse then your problem is at the switch, Search previous topics, I replied to this one a while back. Have power at the fuse but nothing at the dash, then your problem lies in the wire harnes from the fuse box to the dash, Check the dash plug.
Rob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 00, 10:13 AM
David Pozzi

The headlight switch has a variable resistor usually at the front end of it. This resistor is nothing more than a coil spring looking piece of resistance wire. There is a silding finger that contacts it when you turn the knob. The wire spring corrodes and looses connection with the sliding finger. Try twisting the knob back and fourth while the power is on. Maybe you can revive it.

Don't waste your time on the cowl door stuff unless you are really a stickler for origonality.
My friend got all that stuff and put it on his Camaro. He allways has problems with it and I think he finally removed it.
I don't know all the details but there is a switch that controlls a vaccum can that opens the door. I think he had problems with the switch.
David
------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-01-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode