Help Diagnose Electrical Problem - Weird Stuff... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 04, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

SO i bought this car (68 SS?) about a month ago with a CD player already installed and it worked fine. While i was driving home last night the CD player cut out and then back in and out, etc. until i got home. I noticed it would cut out when i touched the gas.

SO i did some experimenting today and it did the following consistantly every single time.

With key in ON or ACC position and engine not cranked, CD player worked fine, no cutouts no problems. Problems ONLY occur with motor running.

So i start the engine and it works for a few seconds and then cuts off, won't work. But if i turn on the lights it will work. With the car idling i can turn the lighs on and off and the cd player will do the same thign the lights are doing, cycle on and off.

However, if at any point i push the throttle the cd player will cut off. Lights on, lights off, it doesn't matter. Just touching the throttle, even just a little will cause it to shut off. Pushing in the throttle has no effect with the motor not running.

So anyway, i have no idea what could be causing the problem. Anyone have any ideas. Things i can try? Where are the relays for (head)lights and any relays controlled by the throttle?

Thanks!

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 04, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Further investigation showed that both of the power wires for the cd player go through a relay switch for the alarm. So I'm gonna take it by the place that installed the alarm and see if they have any ideas. (Alarm was on the car when i bought it too.)

Thanks again for any insight

-Rob
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 04, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

It could be a bad voltage regulator. I had a 70's car last year that the stereo worked fine at the shop engine on or off but when he started driving home and it cut out. He brought it back and every once in a while by revving the engine up it would cut out. I put a meter on the battery terminals and when I got the radio to cut out the meter would read 17V or so for a split second. He replaced the alternator that had the regulator inside of it and it never happened again.
This could be the problem with yours as most radio's need a working voltage of around 8V to 15V. Anything more or less and they cut out or off.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 04, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

THat would make a lot of sense, i've noticed that when i rev the engine the lights on the dash will get a lot brighter and it seems to be more RPM related than throttle related.

So the fix is to replace the alternator? Is the best way to test just measure the voltage drop at the battery while revving the engine.

Thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 04, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech

Ditto on SOA Novas diagnosis. I just installed guages in mine and one day the CD player would cut out when the motor was reved. Looking at the guages you could see the ampmeter was pegged out. Turned out to be the regulator. I'm just glad I had put the guages in or I would have been chasing a problem in the stereo.

<a href="http://members.cardomain.com/tucson" target="_blank">http://members.cardomain.com/tucson</a>
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 04, 02:43 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I would troubleshoot it further and see if it's the regulator or the alternator or both. I believe the 68 of yours should has an external regulator bolted to the backside of the radiator support.
How I found the problem with my customer's car was by using a volt meter connected right on the battery terminals. With the car at idle the meter read about 12V or so and when it was above idle it rose to about 14V but when it was revved every now and then it would show 17V for just a split second (just long enough to show it on the meter display).
You could also have a corroded ground on either the regulator or maybe a bad or poor connection somewhere in the charging system.
I would have someone look at it to get a better idea as to what might be going out or is bad.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 04, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Tucson, where was the regulator on your 67? Where can i get a replacement, I imagine a chevy dealership doesn't just have them laying around? I'll go take a look around the radiator support?
I don't really know what i'm looking for though. Thanks again for any further information.
-Rob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 04, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Tightened up the ground on what i assume is the voltage regulator, seems to have fixed the problem. (It was finger tight and looked a little rusted, so i sanded it down and tightened it) Thanks for your help guys! This is why i love internet car forums! Those of us lacking your knowledge definitely appreciate your time to help out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode