Intermittent ignition failure - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 06:03 PM
Rich253

Recently, while driving my 67, I noticed the radio turned off and then a couple seconds later, came back on. This happened twice a few minutes apart. The next day it happened again, but this time the ignition failed also. I started to coast to the side of the road when everything suddenly came back on. I restarted the engine and drove without problem for a few miles at which time it happened again. This has been happening now for the last 4 days or so. During a typical day of driving, it happens 4 or 5 times. Each time, withing a few seconds everything returns to normal. I suspect the ignition switch and have one on order. In the mean time I disassembled the old ignition switch. It seemed to be okay. It was a little dirty so I cleanded it up and reinstalled it. The problem did not go away or get any better. Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this. I am going to change the ignition switch as soon as the new one arrives, but if that doesn't fix it, I will be at a loss for ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Does this happen when your driving? Does all power go off including your engine then come back on?
If so check your positve battery cable that runs to your starter. It is probably burnt through somewhere like on the exhaust causing a ground or short that would cause this type of situation.
The only reason I know this is because mine did the same thing, but it finally melted the negative battery terminal wire because of the ground.
Worth a check. Good Luck.

------------------
Mike
68 RS Convertible
http://www.camaro.lookscool.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 00, 04:23 PM
Rich253

Thanks MIke, I will check that out. It does sound like a possibility because just before this problem started I installed a set of headers. Maybe that cable is a little too close somewhere.
Rich

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 00, 09:51 AM

I had a similar problem yesterday. My 68', which I just bought the day before, quit while going down the highway. I tried to restart after coasting to the side of the road. The enigne would turn over and it was getting gas, but would not start. Any ideas?

Oh yea, the ignition switch would hang when starting the car and you had to turn the key back a little bit to correct. Could this had cause something?

------------------
68 Camaro

[This message has been edited by emenser (edited 11-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by emenser (edited 11-26-2000).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 00, 05:34 PM
Rich253

That hanging ignition switch does sound like a problem. I would replace it just because of that. But if it's turning over okay but not starting, you could have another problem also. I would check for spark while cranking. Maybe a bad coil or something. Do you have the original points type distributor? Maybe the points are bad.
Rich
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 07:41 AM

Also check the two wires from the harness on the firewall going to the starter solenoid. I had a similar problem on my old 68 where it would just die on me at random times and I eventually found that the insulation had been burned off of the wiring to the solenoid behind the exhaust manifold where it runs down to the starter along the firewall. The two wires had actually become fused together and were intermittently grounding out on the exhaust pipes and killing the electrical. May not be the issue here but is worth checking.

Thanks,
Larry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I had a simular problem with my 67 RS. I noticed my battery was slowly losing charge and then the car started dieing on the road, it would start back up seconds later. I changed the battery cables, checked the alternater output, and tested the ignition. Even after all that the problem was still there. I had missed the regulater. I changed it out and the problem hasn't come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode