Low voltage question?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 04, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Unhappy

Had a problem with an old voltage regulator which was always charging at around 15.5 to 16 volts. Replaced it with a Wells regulator. It was charging around 13.5 to 14 volts. Today after taking the car out I see that I'm around 11 volts according to my gauges. I had the battery checked out just before I changed regulators and was told it was OK. Isn't 11 below the minimum??

Dave, 69 Coupe, 383, Q-jet, Thorley headers, 350 turbo, P.S., P.B. console gauges, Tilt wheel, Black with green pearl paint, Black and White Houndstooth interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Red face

Come on now someone has to have an opinion here, help me out..Please.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Not necessarily, if your battery is fully charged, there is no real need for full voltage to go out of the regulator. Put your lights on and run it.. see if the voltage comes up to compensate.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Where does your voltmeter sense voltage? Voltmeter should always read above 12V even if the battery is fully charged and there is no current draw. 11 Volts is too low. Of course if your sensing point is far enough from the Regulator, the battery may be seing 12+ Volts and the gauge could still be seeing 11. Somethings not right.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Angry

Thanks for your help, I checked everything again and really no change, but happened to check the connections on the regulator itself and found a loose connection. Thanks everyone for the help..
What started this was I had changed regulators to a Wells transistorized which was working great. Then while traveling with about 40 other cars to a car show everything just quit as far as electrical currant to the engine. Checked everything and found a loose nut on the coil. Then the low voltage. Everything seems ok now. Good reason to always check connections as they will lossen at times.

Dave, 69 Coupe, 383, Q-jet, Thorley headers, 350 turbo, P.S., P.B. console gauges, Tilt wheel, Black with green pearl paint, Black and White Houndstooth interior.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

Find out where the voltage drop is. Measure from battery post to clamp. Then measure from the clamp to the junction block behind the battery. Then measure from the post to the horn relay. Lastly measure from the post to the B+ terminal on the back of the regulator.

Does the battery charge normally on a charger? New batteries can be bad. Also, bad regulators or alternators can undercharge a battery and make it go bad as well. If the voltage drops look good, then the connections are good. One or more of these things are causing the problem - 1) Battery 2) Alternator 3) Regulator or 4) Bad Connection.

BTW: Weekends aren't very active on this site. I guess we are either working on our cars or driving them. [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode