Looking for a good, basic MP3 player with playlists - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Looking for a good, basic MP3 player with playlists

I am looking for a cheap, easy to use MP3 player that has the capability to set up playlists so I can play a sequence of songs to fit my mood. Not real interested in the iPods because they tie you into using iTunes. I have a ton of music downloaded on MP3 on my laptop that I would like to transfer to a player for use in the cars or the boat. Anyone have one that they like? Would like to keep cost below $100.

I know I can download music to my phone and use it, but I want to be able to use the phone as a phone when music is playing without the annoyance of calls or texts coming in.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Looking for a good, basic MP3 player with playlists

FWIW, I use an old deactivated iPhone that I leave in the Camaro and it's loaded up with songs and playlists. Not really tied to iTunes per se but I do use it to load the songs. It plays through the original radio wirelessly via an FM transmitter.

1967 RS 327/275hp
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

If you have an old iPod, you can load new firmware on it called RockBox. It replaces the iPod screens and you can load it like an external hard drive. Alternatively, you can use MediaMonkey with the stock iPod software (I think). I haven't done this, but have used RockBox and was pretty happy with it.

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trland View Post
FWIW, I use an old deactivated iPhone that I leave in the Camaro and it's loaded up with songs and playlists. Not really tied to iTunes per se but I do use it to load the songs. It plays through the original radio wirelessly via an FM transmitter.
I am completely ignorant about iPhones (my wife and daughters have them) - I have a Samsung phone, and I basically use it for work stuff, texting, and of course, surfing TC Can you upload regular MP3 files to your iPhone to play, or do they have to be downloaded into a format that the iPhone recognizes? I understand that if you have a song in the iTunes format that you can only play it on an i-device, but wasn't sure about vice-versa.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I do have an old Galaxy phone laying around, so maybe that is an option if I can figure out how to set up playlists on it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Doh! Just Googled it - looks like I can use my old Galaxy 4 with the Android Music app and just set up playlists on that. Hopefully the battery is still good. I may have answered my own question, but if someone has a player that is simply the catz-azz, feel free to post!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

What you miss using the phone is the ability to FF, REW, Pause, etc through the radio. If you have a radio that can do iPod control, you can control the music through your radio.

Maybe something that uses an SD card like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blue.../dp/B0140SG7G8.

You can plug in an SD card on the side and transmit through FM. You can also charge your phone if you want. Still can't control through radio, but it has physical buttons instead of searching for a soft key on your phone.

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 17, 11:21 AM
Tech Team
Garrett

I'm interested in this as well. I have a JBL GTR-7535 5 channel amp. I connect to it via Bluetooth with my iPhone. However the compressed MP3 files have a huge variation in audio quality. It seems as if the more recent recordings are better but any rock I download from the 80's and 90's sounds like junk compared to uncompressed cd's. I'd love to find a hard drive I can connect to the amp and control with my iPhone. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode