losin it - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1967 Camaro needs help. My volt meter is reading low at all times. When I hit my brake lights, turn signals or headlights I lose power to my Radio and amplipher. I have tested the alternator and battery both seem to be working up to par.
Any ideas what the problem could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech

These dang ol' cars develop all kinds of bad connections. There are two circuits to consider -- the ground and the hot. Bad grounds are common. Road crud and the elements will corrode ground connections. Also, if anyone has done work on the car, the chances are good that they left off a bonding strap somewhere. For some reason, ground straps fall into the bin of extra parts. The power feeds are also prone to corrosion and bad connections. Ignition switches develop dirty contacts that will loose voltage. The fuse clips had very poor plating and just about everyone I've seen has rust on the clips.

About the only way to tell what is going on is to start measuring voltage drops in your electrical system. In general, you should never see more than about 0.5 volts or so accross any switch, connector, or between any two assemblies that are grounded. I usually post that drops should be less than 1 volt. If you search this forum, you'll find lots of posts describing the technique. "Voltage drop" would be an excellent search term. Check them out and let us know if this doesn't get you going.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode