67 camaro gasoline guage not reading correctly - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 00, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My gas guage reads almost another quarter incriment past full when it is full. As I drive, it erratically drops --sometimes staying at one point for a while then dropping an eighth then back up a little. It does drop overall as gas gets used. The tank is close to empty at a little over 1/4 tank. Acceleration and turning does cause the needle to move as I would normally expect. Coincidentally, how much fuel will a 67 camaro tank hold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 00, 08:22 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by backfire:
My gas guage reads almost another quarter incriment past full when it is full. As I drive, it erratically drops --sometimes staying at one point for a while then dropping an eighth then back up a little. It does drop overall as gas gets used. The tank is close to empty at a little over 1/4 tank. Acceleration and turning does cause the needle to move as I would normally expect. Coincidentally, how much fuel will a 67 camaro tank hold?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
sounds like the sending unit you can connect in the trunk with a spare to test
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 00, 02:33 PM
David Pozzi

18 gal.
Take a look here, it might not be your problem but you should be aware. http://www.fix-a-gauge.com/index.html

David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech

Every chevy i have ever owned has had the "gas gauge droops" I can turn a hard corner and empty my tank when its 3/4 full, and I too get the "reserve" gas as the needle makes it about 1/4 tank past Full, as long as it works... but the gauge always returns to its present state.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sending unit is dying. I have one failing right now in my coupe and it goes to 125% when full and tank is empty when gauge is at one-quarter.
I've already tried a spare gauge that I have.

There are sending units for no smog cars and ones for smog cars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I bought a new sending unit a while back from GM. The insulation is peeling off the metal strap that goes from the resistor to the part that screws into the gas tank. I assumed the part was defective and did not install. Any opinions?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I think I've solved the problem. I was working on hunting noises and found one of my tank straps was a little loose. I remebered seeing a topic about someone not knowing what to do with a gas tank pad that came with their new replacement tank. I decided to go to Home Depot and picked up a gray 4'x3' 1/2" thick really high density foam pad used for standing on to reduce fatigue--$9. I trimmed it down and put it between the tank and the trunk floor, then tightned bothe straps down. It's not too hard if you do one side and tighten then do the other. This pad doesn't hold water and has great sound deadening capabilty--to get to the point, it put approx 1/2 more space and for whatever reason has fixed the gauge problem.

[This message has been edited by backfire (edited 06-14-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode