Turn Signals - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I discovered this one last night when I took my Camaro out for a test run. The turn signals have stopped working. However when I push the brake pedal both turn signal indicators in the dash turn on. Brake lights and running lights work as expected. I'm suspecting something is wrong with the turn signal flasher which I'll check over the weekend. Otherwise I'm thinking there is a short somewhere or a bad ground. This is a non-RS 69 Camaro. Anyone else ever seen the indicators go on when the brake pedal is pressed?
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech

My '68 did this when I turned on the lights, I found a bad ground with the instrument cluster.

------------------
68 RS Ash Gold
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Do the dash turn indicators come on brightly or just dim? If dim and slow to get to that brightness I'd suspect a bad ground but only in the gauge cluster. Turn signal light grounds are located in the trunk. Could be a short or someone used the wrong grease (short)in the switch. Have you recently replaced the switch? The GM replacement swtich comes with an adapter to fit into the harness plug. You should be able to take a good switch and plug it into the harness to check. That way you don't have to take the whole column apart. Nothing will work unless the switch is plugged in. What about the flasher? I can't remember the last time I've seen one go haywire but it's possible.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like you have depressed the four way flasher switch, for some reason you don't have a flasher for the four ways.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Rob.Canada,
You are a genius. The emergency flash button was indeed pushed in. It's 11:00PM and I thought I would check for any new replies. I saw yours and ran out to the garage to discover the problem. Adding to this is the flashers do not work but do draw from the battery. This explains why I had to jump the battery in order to get it started last night. This bothered me since the battery has held up very well up to now. The car started right up about a month ago after sitting for six months. I'll have to figure out why the flashers aren't working correctly. I've been looking at the schematics and there is not much to the wiring on these things. No computers, no electronics, just wires, switches, fuses, and light bulbs.
Thanks,
Mark
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech

i had the same prob. on a 69 camaro i had, it was that way for 6 mo. before i finally figured it out!!! but now that i had it happen i will never forget!!!

------------------
68 convertible...ZZ4, ect
67 base coupe - all orig!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech

Colo Z28 On the 68 there are two flashers, one is on the fuse panel and the other is in a clip under the dash lip by the ash tray, I'm not sure right now which is which but look for there for your missing flasher, i'm 90 % that the one on the fuse panel is for the turn signal,
Just gald to help.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode