Sunpro Oil Pressure Guage Hookup - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I bought an aftermarket set of guages to mount under the dash. They are the Sunpro 3 pod guage cluster with oil pressure, water temp and volts. I have the temp and volts hooked up but here's my question. I've heard horror stories about the plastic hose that's used to connect the oil pressure guage to the engine breaking and causing oil to leak into the interior or engine compartment. How big of a concern would this be and do any of you have other methods of connecting this guage (steel or copper lines)? Maybe I'm just being over cautious, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Going to a metal tube is a good idea.

One can go to a refrigeration parts place or a hydraulic hose retailer and pick up either 1/8 inch copper tubing or steel tubing. Copper tubing has a much smaller ID than steel causing the gauge to react very slow.

Summit does sell an oil line kit of stainless steel braided tubing in three lengths, 3', 4', 6'.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 06:26 AM
Team Member
John

Copper tubing isn't a good idea to use for this application - it's subjected to vibration, which will work-harden the copper and it will eventually crack. The older OEM Corvette applications used what LOOKS like copper tubing, but it isn't - it's copper-plated STEEL tubing, just for that reason. The plastic (nylon) tubing will work just fine, as long as it's routed so it doesn't rub on anything sharp and you use a rubber grommet where it passes through the firewall.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I've had no problems with the plastic tubing. If I ever change gauges, I will go with the electric instead.

------------------
69 convertible,fully restored, well almost.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 06:44 PM
Tech Team

I bought an Autometer copper tube for $10. came with all necessary fittings and firewall grommet. Is this a bad kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode