Charge wire size?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 04, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What size charge wire do you guys recommend to run from the alternator to the battery? I have an 85amp alternator and i am running the wire from the alt. along the upper radiator hose, across the core support to the battery. Thanks!!

Cody
67 Camaro 383, AFR 195's, Pro-Systems 1000HP, Cam Motion 246/[email protected] .050 solid FT, Vic Jr. Th350 4.11:1 9inch
Best:
60'-1.80
1/4-11.969
MPH-114.74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 04, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Min size #8 AWG.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 04, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks!! Thats kinda what i was aiming for, but no one around here has 8 gauge wire!! Thanks for the help!!

Cody
67 Camaro 383, AFR 195's, Pro-Systems 1000HP, Cam Motion 246/[email protected] .050 solid FT, Vic Jr. Th350 4.11:1 9inch
Best:
60'-1.80
1/4-11.969
MPH-114.74

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 04, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The charging wire runs from the alternator to the common terminal on the horn relay and has a splice in it between the alternator and the horn relay that powers everyting in the car. That wire should be #8 with an 85 amp alternator. You could run 2 #10s in parallel as long as you connect them to common terminals (ring tongues) on each end. If you splice into these two wires you must splice to both of them at the same location. Electrical distribution gear wiring does this all the time to make high current connections in switchgear and transformers. Only restriction is that the wires must be run together from one end to the other.

The battery will never draw 85 amps to charge it so the charging wire from the horn relay terminal to the positive terminal could remain as a single #10.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 04, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Mark!! That post explained a lot! I think I'll try your idea. Thanks for the help!!

Cody
Best:
60'-1.80
1/4-11.969
MPH-114.74
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 04, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech

forget the factory way of doing things with the horn relay being between the battery and the alt- i have a cable the same size as the battery cable that goes to the starter solenoid from the positive battery terminal (6 gauge or so i think) going from the terminal on the back of the alt directly to the positive battery terminal. my whole electrical system is powered off a cop car accessory junction block that is mounted by the battery with another cable directly from the positive battery terminal- i used factory positive battery cables from an 87 Caprice cop car i parted out years ago that were all set up for this- but they are side post. they are actually 2 seperate cables stacked on the side post of the battery that each have 2 big wires coming out of the terminals.
that's the way GM has done it since at least the mid 80's, and it does get rid of a lot of extra wire and works really, really well..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 04, 01:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Not in a 67 with the alternator on the drivers side right next to the horn relay. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 04, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Question

So what is the wire size that Painless sells with their high amp alternator kit? I installed that a year ago and cant remember what size it was. I want to say 10awg if thats the case I need to redo it and double it with 2 tens which would be easier than redoing it with a single 8.???
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 04, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

fine- get a battery cable for a 92 Caprice with a 350 and the HD alternator- it has a longer wire that goes right from the post on the back of the alt (which is on the driver's side) over to the battery, and run a bigger power wire from the horn relay over to the post on the alt and throw out the factory wire from the battery to the horn relay. might be 5 minutes more work, but it will be better.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 04, 12:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Novaderik,
My battery is in the trunk so my power comes off the solinoid to the accessary wire and also a distribution block for the lights& fan, am I wrong that way?
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode