intermitent problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 04, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Every once in a while when I turn on the ignition the car doesn't turn over. It happened to me last night and almost left me stranded. When I turn the key my fuel pump comes on the Gen light comes on but nothing happens. I replaced my ignition switch about a year ago and I don't think this is the problem because my fuel pump comes on as does the radio. Two suspect places are 1) the starter 2) the connector that is mounted on the firewall that joins the inside wire harness to the engine side wire harness. Any ideas on how to check this out? Has anybody had a similar problem. Remember this intermitent so it happens randomly. The previous four times it happened I turned the key to the off position and tried again it worked. Last night i tried at least a dozen times and nothing happened and then finally it started. When I got home I shut it off on 3 times without missing a beat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
third option, check your neutral safety switch. it may have slipped or is going bad. Next time it wont start, try starting in neutral.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

That's not uncommon, at least on most of my friends cars. IMO it looks like if the voltage to activate the solenoid goes low, 'cause of wear on the internal ignition switch's contacs. I've solved some of them by adding a 40 amp relay to the starter solenoid circuit. Even added one to my car, just in case. Fused 12 volts wire directly from the battery to feed the relay, from the relay to the solenoid, then the ignition switch just need to turn on the relay. Obviously, all this after you check all the connections to make sure the problem isn't caused by other parts. Again, not original but it has worked for many. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 04, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Nuetral safety switch is fine and checked and I have a new red top gel battery. As for the internals of the switch I'll have a look at my old one and see if I could see any source of problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode