Brake LIght/Turn Signal combo prob - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 04, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,
My brake lights are driving me nuts. Basically, all combinations of the rear lights on my 67 work EXCEPT brake lights & turn signals together.

-Individually (turn, brake, tails), they're fine.
-Brake lights and taillights together are fine.
-Taillights and Turn lights together are fine.

But when the turn signals and brake lights are on together, only the signalled side works (flashes). The other side (the brakje side - that should be on constant) is dark. My grounds *seem* fine, hazards work fine, no dimming or signs of bad grounds. What am I missing??

Driving in traffic and choosing between signalling and braking have been my options, but I can't keep it up for too long

Thanks!

DP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 11:01 AM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by dprice:
-Individually (turn, brake, tails), they're fine.
-Brake lights and taillights together are fine.
-Taillights and Turn lights together are fine.
That says the wiring, bulbs, sockets, and grounds are fine; sounds like the issue is in the turn signal switch.

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 01:56 AM
Senior Tech

A lot of the old shop manuals say to disconnect the original switch and just plug-in a new turn signal switch and see if the problem is fixed. That was easy when switches were a dime a dozen. If you are lucky enough to have access to a spare 1967-68 switch, that is the easiest approach.

BTW, don't ever spray WD40 on electrical contacts or components. Use specific electrical contact sprays.

Good luck,
JIML82

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 02:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I had a similar problem. It sounds like your turn signal switch is broken and is traveling too far. One way to check this is to turn on the turn signal but make sure that you only move it just enough to turn it on.

There are little tabs/stops on the turn signal and they can break off. If they break off, the switch travels too far and doesn't work correctly. The switch is about $50 at the parts store but I got mine on ebay for $24 + $5 shipping.

ebay turn signal switch

1967 rs conv. hugger orange, 350 engine, former turbo 350 tranny-now SUPER T-10!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 blue SS 'vert, 350 engine, 4 spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 03:41 AM
a67

I had the same happen to my car, it was just as camarorsconv said. The little stop tabs break off and the switch over-travels. The tabs are about 1/8" square and you'll probably find them laying in the bottom of the column housing of the switch area.

I fixed mine by using RTV and basically making new stops. Just cleaned the area and put a small blob in place. Then of course a month later the other tab broke off and I got to take the steering wheel off again. But was better at it the second time around.

Bob.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I suspected as much that it was the switch, but was unable to get confirmation from anywhere else that it might be bad. Good old networking at the message boards works again!

Thanks again to all,
DP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode