low fuel light warning module - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

I am currently having fuel gauge problems and I hope you will be able to help me. I have replaced my fuel tank, fuel lines, and sending unit (It is all Brand new). The low fuel light stayed on and the tank reads over full ( past the full mark ) until I started to take apart the Low Fuel Warning Module. Now the fuel gauge reads full (same as before) and the low fuel warning lamp is off (light is off). The gas tank is full with about 45 miles driven after the fill up and no change in the measurement on the gauge. I was in a rush to put it together and probably did not clean the surface for the ground wire as good as I could have. Do you know the values for the components so I can replace them all with parts from a local electronic parts store. ( $50.00USD is a little steep for me to have to replace the whole unit). If I replace these parts and clean up the ground will it fix my problems? A board schematic would be cool if it possible to get Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jgrock/1try.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

If you ground the wire going to the gauge,the gauge should go to empty.If you leave the wire un hooked,the gauge will read full.I'm working on my low fuel light,havn't got it working yet.There are 2 transistors and a diode.It is very difficult to solder in the transistors.There is a good thread on this subject,do a search,mccorry started the discussion.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Hi there..... I just responded to your email....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I hope I can help you out. First of all, the gauge problem has nothing to do with the low fuel sending unit. It sounds like your sending unit might be stuck or something....

Unplug the connector in the trunk and connect it directly to a ground.... the gauge should go to full empty with the ignition on.
If it does not, it is the gauge.....
If it does, then you have an issue with either the sending unit resistor or the sending unit ground...

As far as the low fuel light...I am still working on a "good" fix. I did get mine working again, but now the light only comes on when the needle reads BELOW empty. I am trying to find a way to make an adjustable trip point....so I can dial in when the light comes on.

The old circuit board in the unit is a PITA! It is a ceramic wafer...and solder will not stick to it. SO...even if you can get the correct parts, fitting them and soldering them is a big job. Mine, quite honestly, looks like crap right now.

I am working on making this adjustable circuit in a small electronics box (1"x2"x2.5"). If I get it working, I'll let you know...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---&gt; www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 5/4/01)

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 05-10-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode