Chasing down a short - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 04, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I need some thoughts on where to start trying to find this bugger. When it's shorting out, this is what happens;

- The interior lights stay on (dash lights are NOT affected).

-Turn signals light but they don't blink.

-Brake lights stop working.

If anyone can help narrow this down it would make my life alot easier - I'm not all that great at electrical.

Thanks!
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 04, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
With the interior lights staying on.. that can be either a bad door switch or the light switch. I'd look at a door switch.

As for blinkers..separate circuit so check the flasher itself.

Brake lights.. switch located above the brake pedal mounted to column. again separate circuit.

Look at the fuse block. thats the only common item in all the circuits.

What about tail lights?

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 04, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech

Check the rear body harness connector. It is located above the emergency brake pedal. Has about 12 wires going through it which may explain what you're seeing. If it is connected, shine up the terminals the best you can with a shred of sand paper or whatever you've got. Then before connecting it, dope it up with dielectric grease. You can pick it up at most autoparts stores for a few bucks. It looks like clear RTV, but its a grease that doesn't harden and helps keep oxygen and moisture away from your freshly brightened terminals.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 04, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

The tail lights work. I'm thinking the fuse block. All of those things happen at once, never individually.

The strangest part about the whole thing is, it was fine when I put it away last winter. I fired it up this spring and there it was.

Thanks Nantooch and Dave. At least I know where to start. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode