Alternator Wiring Issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I had my donated int reg alternator tested at AutoZone and it was dead. This contributed to battery drain over night while sitting. My question is this. I am purchasing an equivilent internal reg alternator to what I had. I have a M&H voltage reg. bypass plug also in place. When I test my wires my blue ,I beleive, is for my idiot light. That's dead which is normal. I have a red from the horn relay which has 12.5v to my power connection on the alt. I also have a white wire which reads 12.5v. According to my diagram from this site they suggest jumping from the red to this termianl on the alt. What does this white powered wire do? I just don't want to fry my alt! thanks for any advice.

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam
1963 Chevy Biscayne-2 door, 283 2bbl, powerglide, Mallory Digital ignition
1985 Z-28 LG4, Edelbrock hdrs, Lakewood control arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

The bypass plug is basically two jumpers. It connects the 1 and 3 wires together and the 2 and 4 wires together. Looking at the back of the internal reg alternator, the wire that has battery voltage with the key "OFF" gets connected to the right terminal and the wire that has voltage with the key "ON" (idiot light wire) connects to the left terminal. You could run a jumper from the charge post on the alternator to the right terminal, but I wouldn't connect the small wire from the original harness to the jumper. If you lost the connection between the charge post and the horn relay it would smoke the small wire to the regulator bypass plug in a heartbeat.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So if I use the plug that was included in the kit for the alternator connection I should be ok?

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam
1963 Chevy Biscayne-2 door, 283 2bbl, powerglide, Mallory Digital ignition
1985 Z-28 LG4, Edelbrock hdrs, Lakewood control arms

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech

Yes. If you use that plug you'll be fine.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode