Pros and Cons of Engine Harness - Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

My engine wiring is somewhat hacked - although I can identify the wires and where they're supposed to go. It's just that a few of the wires have been spliced or even just cut and left dangling.

Here's my question - is a new harness necessary or can I fix it myself by splicing in my own wire, soldering it, then shrink wrapping it. OR...is a better argument that the splices will reduce the voltage, the wiring is 31 years old ('69 model) and thus, probably a bit restrictive already, and I should not be cheap and just pony up the hundred bucks for a new harness?

I really don't know so I'd appreciate anyone's help/suggestions.

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 06:33 AM
Tech Team
Bill

JonT,
If you have the dough, buy a new harness. A harness that is 31 years old will have some resistance due to old age and corrorision. Splicing a few connectors (soldering is best, along with shrinkwrap) works too.
Nothing looks worse than a "hacked" up harness.
Good Luck

------------------
'72Z & '67 Chevelle.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

It's not hard at all to refurbish the original harness. However, you must decide if the time involved is worth the $60 for a new harness.

The easiest way to learn how the plugs work is to head to the self-serve boneyards and tear a few apart. If you are carefull you can remove the old wire from the spade/ring and reuse them, or, use a similar color wire from another donor harness. Interior harnesses are also likely donors as many of the wires are similar in color and size.

In a pinch I have removed the crimped on spades used in the firewall plugs and crimped/soldiered them to new wires. New non-stick wrapping is available from the repro houses.

Addtional wiring can be added to the harnesses as well. For example, a 12 ga power line for the stereo amp is run in the engine harness and through the firewall utilizing one of the empty plug sockets. It looks totally factory and and best of all there are no new holes in the firewall.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech

January Hot Rod has a pretty good article on aftermarket wiring. According to them the factory wiring isn't all that good to start with. New stuff is much improved and with the wear and tear on yours, I'd spring for a new harness and dress it up under the hood.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I have to agree that if you can afford a new harness, that's the way to go. Fixing what is hacked now will cure those ills, but who's to say a month down the road more problems won't surface.
If you do decide to go new, from the posts I have read here STAY AWAY from Painless.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

www.wiringharness.com making it clickable.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

Save yourself the inevitable BS of being one more person trying to make your hacked up wiring work. I used M & H (website above) and it was well worth it. Once I actually had the harness in my hand I was surprised at how little there really is in the engine bay of these older cars. NOT complex at all. And the minimal cost of the brand-new, correct-colors & connections, everything works harness, was worth every penny.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode