Painless wiring kit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I am about to install a painless wiring harness in (12)into my 69 camaro and was wondering if i should purchase the gauges first. Also, if anyone has installed the wiring kit and helpful info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 02, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I am in the middle of installing my Painless kit in my 69. My advise would be
1. take your timedo it right.
2. Route your wires, then terminate them.

I ran the rear wires in plastic tubing along the channel on the drivers side all the way to the trunk.

I am hoping to get my dash finished next week and continue the wiring.

Good Luck

Bob

------------------
69 Convertible - Restification in Progress
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 02:26 AM
Senior Tech

The first posters advice should be taken to heart. Taking your time is a real quality issue and of course getting it right.

Another point is that if you do not have a professional crimping tool, buy or rent one! Terminations will be the rule in your kit and quality ones that are tight and lasting will be worth the effort. Do NOT use cheap crimping tools. Jensen tools makes several that are reasonably priced and will do the job.

Isolate and test as you go with a test batter or test set. In other words, hook parts of the system up and test the functionality before moving on. This could save you a ton of corrective work down the line.

I don't know where you are locating your battery (maybe the stock location) and how big your alternator is, but make sure you charging wires and battery feed is big enough for your application. Many kits do not address high amperage charging circuits and/or batterys in the trunk. I advice that at least number 4 cable for the battery cable feed to the starter. If you have a 100amp alternator, I suggest you run the wire directly to the starter/battery post with a number 6. Yes that is a six! This is especially true if you have a dry spiral cell batter like a Optima! Don't forget the correct fusible links or that will leave you sitting as well.

YOu should be using relays for any cooling fans, large stereo systems or devices over 12 continuous amps. You can even relay your headlights for a brighter outcome.....get it?

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech

i was wanting to get the painless kit for my 68. Wanting to know does the kit come with all the conections on it or do you half to put them on. And how does the fuse box look in the factory spot (does it fit good)?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 10:59 AM
Tech Team

All of the connectors are on the kit for the under dash part of it, they just plug right in, except for the half moon harness for the turn signal switch, you have to save the one off of your old harness if you have one. The rest of the wires under the hood and to the trunk you have to terminate yourself. As far as the fuse box goes, you have to make the hole in the firewall larger, but it is a nice looking when installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode