Fuse. Fuel Gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Guy's does anyone know what size the fuse is, in the sender unit for the low fuel warning light. I'm asking about the one inside the three guage console unit on a 67.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Since I haven't gotten any responses maybe I can clairify my question. There is a sending unit inside the three guage console which turns on the low fuel light in the dash. On the back of the sending unit, it looks like there is some sort of conector which a fuze might go in. Can someone look at theirs and tell me what goes in this slot.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

That connector on the yellow wire, goes to the low fuel dash light. The lamp is always hot and the low fuel module supplies a ground to the lamp circuit on a low fuel (`1/8 Tank) level.

Warning Will Robinson - (391K file)
http://home.townisp.com/~markcanning...onsolewire.jpg

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 08:04 AM
Retired
Jim

I dont think there is a fuse in it, Mark helped me get mine working and its great.
Here is my setup in a 69, not sure how much different a 67 is tho.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Great picture and thanks for the info on how it works. Now maybe I can get mine to work. However my question is; if you look at the black round thing in the fuel low circuit (It think it's the sending unit) on the right side of it (in the picture) it looks like there is a place for a fuze, it has two conectors which look like something should be conected there. Is there something connecting them. Or another way to explane this; if you hold it with the wires pointing away from you and look inside the opening, is there a fuze or some sort of removable connector in there.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Th original units had a light in there. Same bulb that is used in the rest of the console light fixtures. The bulb held the unit into the metal plate that the gauges are mounted on, right between the two gauges.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Marc thanks for the quick reply. It did kind of look like a bulb would go in there. I was thinking of trying to put one in there and see it that helped make it work. I've run into systems in the past that got their ground through a bulb, thought this might be one but I doubted it because why would someone design it that way. That's why I was thinking there may be a fuze there instead. Based on your previous replies I should be able to test my light by grounding the system and see where it's not working. Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK guy's I'm still trying to get this fuel low light to work. Here's the deal, I've traced the wire to a yellow wire under the dash which is not connected to anything. It has a connector on the end which looks like it should connect somewhere, but I can't find it. So the question is; does anyone know where the yellow, low fuel light, wire connects under the dash. Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It connects right to the Low fuel light socket in the left instrument pod. It's the outer one right next to the left blinker arrow. The lamp socket is always hot with the key in the run position. The low fuel module provides a ground when the tank levle gets down around 1/8 tank.

Warning to dialups, the following file is 371Kb.

http://home.townisp.com/~markcanning...es_install.jpg

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 12:58 PM
Retired
Jim

Rick I almost ran away from home trying to get my low fuel light to work but after laying on my back under the dash and staring at that bulb socket long enough, I realized somehow either factory or previous owner had wired that bulb of mine with a black and yellow wire.
As Mark has said, that low fuel is a grounding system to finish the circuit, but I had 2 grounds, black and yellow. So I would never get a positive flow no matter what. I took my black wire, cut it and spliced in an orange from the fuse box and presto it worked like a charm. Not saying you will find that but double check your HOT wire at that bulb and make sure it has 12v with the key ON. If not, get the 12v over there, then try your ground YELLOW from the sender.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well guy's my fuel low warning light does not have a connector on it so that must be my problem. Just to follow up the rest of this conversation. I checked the power to the light socket and I have power to the socket. I also checked the yellow ground wire and I have continuity from under the dash to the console. So the only thing left to make this light work is to connect the yellow wire to the socket (where there is no connector). So anyone know where I can get a light socket with the right connector attached to it. BTW I find it interesting the circuit board has a line going to the harness connector but no wire attaching to it at the point. Why do you supose they used the seperate yellow wire insted of the wiring harness which connects to the circuit board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode